100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

I tried to do a layout for the FET A2. If one or more of you kind folk would look it over and let me know if you see any errors I would appreciate it.

Blessings, Terry

Are Z3 and Z4 connected correctly in the schematic? It looks like they are connected to output instead of ground. Op amp supply voltage would move with output voltage as is.

Last edited:
I tried to do a layout for the FET A2. If one or more of you kind folk would look it over and let me know if you see any errors I would appreciate it.

Blessings, Terry

Track missing...

Attachments

• A2 FET PHOTO.jpg
    A2 FET PHOTO.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 1,005
D3 and D4 should be in contact with heatsink.

Ah yes, I forgot we discussed thermal compensation earlier. That wasn't needed with the laterals.I will have to re-think this.
Are Z3 and Z4 connected correctly in the schematic? It looks like they are connected to output instead of ground. Op amp supply voltage would move with output voltage as is.
I wondered that too, but that is the way it is in the original and it seems to work fine. By the way, I raised the 36R to 39R and I have plenty of gain.

Blessings, Terry

Hi Terry,
Dont have eagle eyes, ( for that I need to lay it out in eagle ;))but I feel the traces can be thicker after emitter resistors .
reg
Prasi

If you are using 680Ω in series with 1k trimpot then reduce 680Ω to 560Ω, 470Ω, 390Ω or 330Ω. Also check voltage between collector and emitter of BD139 when trimpot is fully turned CCW, voltage should increase when turned CW.

I looked back through my build and in post 4270 I started a discussion with Mile about setting the bias. What we found may be of some help.

Blessings, Terry

From his question I assumed he could not adjust bias with trimpot fully turned CW.

Hmmm, I've built two of them and they can be biased so either his devices are way different than the ones I used or there is something wrong.

I etched a pair for the A2 FET. I'll try to get them populated tomorrow.

Attachments

• A2 FET foil.jpg
    A2 FET foil.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • A2 FET silk.jpg
    A2 FET silk.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,021
Nice work.

A2 with IRFP240/9240 Specifications (Simulated):
Rail Voltage +/-55VDC.
SNR 105dB@1KHz
PSRR -120dB
BW 5Hz - 52KHz
SR 80V/usec
THD 10WRMS@8R0 0,007%, 150WRMS@8R0 0,02%
Clipping is about 52-53Vpeak.

Regards
Hi Mile,

The A IRFP is singing. However it need a little help. See attached scope shots. Looks like it needs compensation changes.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• A IRFP singing.jpg
    A IRFP singing.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 921
  • A2 IRFP 1KHZ.jpg
    A2 IRFP 1KHZ.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 838
  • A2 IRFP 5KHZ.jpg
    A2 IRFP 5KHZ.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 239
  • A2 IRFP 10KHZ.jpg