1000 Watt Sub Amp: Design / Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT said:
I would have recommended you ignore the PMPO query, but since you answered I'll correct your estimates.
Using all my knowledge and abilities I guarantee that without measuring your amplifier, it has a PMPO of at least half a million watts +-3.

I tend to ignore anything but the RMS AES rating.

Some amp vendors dont know how to calculate PMPO.
I have bought cheap amps that were supposedly hundreds of watts but sounded no louder than 50 watts RMS.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Dr.EM said:
Or we could work it out as per some computer speakers I've seen. RMS = 6W, PMPO = 280W. Your amp could be 46600W PMPO, big numbers indeed :D

:)

AndrewT said:
I would have recommended you ignore the PMPO query, but since you answered I'll correct your estimates.
Using all my knowledge and abilities I guarantee that without measuring your amplifier, it has a PMPO of at least half a million watts +-3.

What? No actual measurements? Shocking!:D
Yes best to exist in the real world and stay away from the "pimpo" numbers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Re: I stumbled on to this amp

MJL21193 said:

I "stumbled" across these too:
this one , this one , this one , oh and a whole bunch others

The good question is "why did I waste my time and money building the one I did, when there are so many out there to chose from?"

DIY = Do It Yourself, not Buy It Yourself.

:cool:

Its the massive sense of achievement when you build your own.

I remember my first amp kit build in around 1980, I was gobsmacked when it worked.

Re: Re: I stumbled on to this amp

MJL21193 said:

I "stumbled" across these too:
this one , this one , this one , oh and a whole bunch others

The good question is "why did I waste my time and money building the one I did, when there are so many out there to chose from?"

DIY = Do It Yourself, not Buy It Yourself.

:cool:

All these products are shoddy pieces of work (i hope the sense of my phrase it is comprehensible). I have checked some of these with my DSO by injecting square waves in their inputs, and the resulted oscillographs was realy deplorable and sickening.
Stay - please - sticked with your original project.

Fotios

Re: Re: Re: I stumbled on to this amp

fotios said:

All these products are shoddy pieces of work (i hope the sense of my phrase it is comprehensible). I have checked some of these with my DSO by injecting square waves in their inputs, and the resulted oscillographs was realy deplorable and sickening.
Stay - please - sticked with your original project.

Fotios

I was waiting for a link to ebay where amps are quoted as outputting 50,000 watts but atcually only output 50.

Maybe the do output 50,000 watts for 1 picosecond ?

To be fair, that Keiga class D amp is really in a different category than those Pyramid, etc. amps, and is priced accordingly if you have ever looked at the non $0.00 price at which Madisound lists this amp. Still, the amp that is the focus of this thread is CLEARLY a different breed than any of those posted. Whether a class AB amp is discernible from a good D amp for the purposes of driving a sub is, of course, an entirely different discussion. . .

Remember, apples and oranges are both round fruit (i.e. amplifiers that put out 1000W if the analogy is too obtuse), but there are enough differences to make the comparisons between the two effectively meaningless. :D

Re: ANY Chance?

ppcblaster said:
Any Chance someone here would design a Sub amp we could all build?
Any design considerations? Do you want transistors? Mosfets? What are your power requirements? Bandwidth?

The reason I ask is that many of the good amp projects on these boards can easily be modified to VERY high power (think Leach). Even LM3886's can be BPA'ed to give a very nice 200W amp on the "cheap." I personally like the bandwidth limited bridged LM4780 for a VERY simple, reasonably priced sub amp.

I guess you need to be a little more specific in your request since there seem to be a bunch of designs already out there that are quite easy to build, if that is your exclusive criterion.

I am still a Noob

I am still a Noob last year I built a BrianGT chipamp and the sound is wonderful, I have it hooked up to the TV.

I sure would like to add a sub, maybe someone could pick a sub kit and design an amp.

I also would like to see a PC amp and speaker thread here.

My 20 year old son has his midi controller connected to his PC and he just can't get enough bass....AHHHHHHhhhhhhh.

One wonderful member designed and built a buffer to add a sub to a sound system

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120593

Post #10

Someone please explain how the Stereo outputs are connected to this buffer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: ANY Chance?

dfdye said:
To be fair, that Keiga class D amp is really in a different category than those Pyramid, etc. amps, and is priced accordingly

Turning point:
I actually considered buying the Keiga a couple years ago, but took the wrong turn and walked right into this obsession. :bawling:

It looks like a good deal. I figure my amp cost easily 2 times the price of that unit, all things considered. No mention of the time spent.

For me (and I assume many others) it's not about saving money.

ppcblaster said:
Any Chance someone here would design a Sub amp we could all build?

There are many amps here that will work for a subwoofer. It depends on how much power you need. This amp may be too powerful for many subs.

Back further in this thread, I did a circuit board layout for this amp, which would make it relatively easy to build - see post #251
If there was enough interest, I might be persuaded to have a few of these boards made.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: 1000W Sub

ppcblaster said:

Mine would give his a run for the money, when you consider that each of those PD's cost $900.00. My MJ-18's cost $79.00 each (at the time). :headshot:

Check out this vid of one of the MJ-18 working. This is not mine, but it is the same driver.

Worth every penny :)

ppcblaster said:

Also could someone explain how a Direct Servo Subwoofer works?

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

Could a DIY amp be built?

Those are complete kits. Isn't that what you were looking for?

They are selling the drivers and the amp for cheap. To build such an amp is expensive, certainly more than the cost of the entire kit
Just buy the kit already.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
It's been nearly a month and I haven't done anything new. Too busy with work to do much of anything actually.
The amp is in operation and being used every day. It has not been getting hot enough for extra cooling from the front fans to be needed, even during the most thunderous soundtracks.

I have a few things to finish before I can call it complete. The power switch is still not hooked up. To turn the unit on, I plug it in.
I haven't done the temperature dependent fan controller for the front fans yet. This needs to be included, if for whatever reason I forget to turn it off and leave for a while, it will not overheat. I have a thermal cutout (for the mains supply) that needs to be installed also.
The R. Slone protection circuit is not started yet, indeed I haven't even designed a board layout for it yet. This will have a relay for speaker protection and startup delay.
I have abandoned the idea of attenuating the signal from the LT to avoid clipping. The way it is now, with a 100nF input cap, and the level adjusted from the HTR, it seems fine.
The outer case is not attached to the chassis yet, just slipped on. I need to figure out a way of fastening it without driving screws through the fine outside finish. I'll most likely epoxy clips to the inside to be screwed through the bottom.

A great project and many lessons learned. Thanks to all who have contributed, your assistance was most appreciated.
I'll need it again, for the next big one ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.