10" woofer choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the enclosure volume isnt all, the tuning frequency is as important, if you tune it right you wont have any peaking, but in fact, 55 liters isn't enough, the volume i did choose (70 liters) is the minimum if you want to be able to tune thoses drivers right.

Hi-vi are good drivers, but same class than monacor IMHO, in this case you might aswell use a 12" from monacor if it's cheaper. The monacor SPH-300 CTC gives 35hz -6db in 48 liters with no peaking (fb 38 hz), and you can even use it in smaller volumes.

The uk price on the hi vi is right though, and hi vi are good quality drivers, kind of a no brainer. Plus it looks cooler than monacors :)

You now have really a lot of choices, lots of them are good. I'd still go for the double 8" peerless for the reasons i explained above, but everyone have to choose a set of compromises and work with it ! I'd be interrested to see wich one you finally choose though.

I think I'm going to choose the Beyma 12b100r
pdf

It's used in there and in many personal DIY projects:
http://www.hautparleursystemes.com/site/studiolab300.htm

All of its specs fit in except for its xmax which prevents from increasing the volume very high. For 20m2 it will be largely sufficient :D
Its more expensive than i expected but... I think its worth it
Thank you for your help everyone, i will post pics of the final result ;)
Probably next year (january)

In fact the beyma does look like a very good driver. Distortion is good, though not SOA, but -50db trough most of the range, wich is clearly enough, optimum charge looks like around 60 liters, going down to 40hz -6db.

note that the hp systemes system uses a bigger volume (100 liters approximately) with a low tuning frequency bringing to a slightly overdamped alignment bringing the -6db point to 30hz.

I've heard the hp systemes speakers and it's very good in fact :)

How is this project going? Haven't seen any updates in a while.

Hopefully not too off topic but tinitus, you were right, that was a good price on the SPH-275C, and I missed it :( . It has predictably gone up a lot now. Is it likely to stay where it is or climb further based on past experience? I don't know whether to stockpile them for future implementation.

Hi,
I bought 2 Morel mdt30s, excellent association with the Davis 17klv6a. accurate, never "harsh", really nice.
Nowwith 200hz I'm still hesitating and can't make up my mind.
The config works well with 15" rcf "pa style" but i would like something smaller and with a more coherent sensitivity and sound with everything else.

Active crossover 18/12/18 for 250hz and 3,5khz.

Some pics of the davis and morel:

Morel mdt30s:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Davis 17klv6a:

Haven't seen those Davis units before, was going to browse through thier website but can't get anything to come up under drivers category :confused:

Looks interesting though, I was originally going to use a similar Morel tweeter in my project (MDT33) but ended up using a planer (rather last minute change due to different mids becoming available, happy with them anyhow). Should sound great :)

Your using a PA orientated unit for your bass right? I guess that'll give high output with some tactile sensation but perhaps not the very lowest frequencies?

I use the rcf (l15p530) with a tuning frequency at 35hz.
It lowers quite enough but needs an important equalization.
made for using high spl It's not the most adapted to my project I guess. I hope to find something smaller and more fitting in.
maybe 2x20"... maybe... :rolleyes:

For davis acoustic informations:
http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/davis-acoustics-c-331_58.html
Mine:
http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/kevlar/davis-acoustics-17-klv6-a-p-605.html
Davis official website doens't work well with firefox, you've got a link to each technical sheet from the site i put a link above. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.