Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2021, 11:50 PM   #301
Darksound is offline Darksound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Ed!
I am sure everyone would like to hear your Phidac comparison to DDDacs,
especially since they are reportedly better sounding than Chord Qutest!
That would be one of the first (indirect, but still) comparisons to established good brands.
Could you post a couple more pictures? I get that the Wima are Boxed Red and they are for DC protection? Did you try first without them? What are the metal caps?
Old 12th April 2021, 06:34 PM   #302
Seb1 is offline Seb1  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi,

First thanks to Richard for creating this dac kit.
Shipping was fast and packaging excellent.
I have started soldering and now values are looking better.
I got carried away, forgot to breathe, and managed to solder U2 180 degrees wrong, not recommended.

Now i have these values (Before filter insert)
Step 1
TP1: 6.9
TP2: 10.0
TP3: 5.0
TP4: 2.5
TP9: 12.4
TP10: 11.2

Step 2
TP5: 10.0
TP6: 10.0
TP7: 3.7
TP8: 3.7

Values after filter insert:
TP5: 5.8
TP6: 5.8
TP7: 8.0
TP8: 8.0

Still no music.
Any ideas how to progress?

Seb
Old 13th April 2021, 03:00 AM   #303
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
TP1 etc values all look fine.

Step 2 (no filter) TP5-8 values are checking the biassing current sources output the correct current - this also looks fine.

Assuming that music is playing for the TP5-8 values with filter they are indicative of some problem with the DAC chips - either on the input or output side.

Each chip outputs an offset current at 'digital zero' and this is compensated for by the aforementioned current sources Q15 and Q25. When the two are in balance the TP5-8 values will be the same as TP1, i.e. 6.9V. Since TP5 is about 1V too low this indicates the DACs are putting out too much current. This couldn't happen by disconnecting the outputs (which would give too little) so it tends to indicate the data the DACs are receiving is corrupted somehow.

Of course it could be that you made those measurements with no music playing in which case the DAC's outputs will be random.

I have another question - you mentioned in email that you found 1N4001 had been put in backwards - did you discover this before you soldered in the DAC chips or after? If after its quite possible the DAC chips got damaged through over-voltage.
Old 13th April 2021, 03:17 AM   #304
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Default Updated graphic for how to solder your DecaDAC

In the light of a couple of builders getting some parts' polarities incorrect we've modified the build instructions to show the correct orientation of semis more explicitly. Hopefully to head off any future instances of this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHIDECADAC GUIDE 0413.jpg (462.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 13th April 2021, 09:17 PM   #305
1543 is offline 1543  Germany
diyAudio Member

For several weeks now, my My PhiDAC hex has been working in this reused Philips CD Player enclosure.

I think I have to test with 3rd order filter also and purchase another filter from abraxalito. Initially I have ordered 2 kits incl. 7th order filters instead of different filters to play with.

The PhiDAC hex offers a wide sound stage but I am not 100% satisfied with the tonallity. Pre ringing of filter or phase shift caused by filter steep?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phidac.jpg (119.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg phidac_front.jpg (65.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 14th April 2021, 01:25 PM   #306
diyAudio Member

I'm curious to learn what in particular is amiss about the tonality? There can't be any pre-ringing as the filter's causal (being analog) but there certainly is a fair amount of phase shift (and hence ringing) at the highest frequencies.

I see your sample rate shows as 48kHz - there will be some HF lift at any sample rate above 44.1kHz. I wouldn't expect it to be enough to be audible at 48k though.
Old 14th April 2021, 02:08 PM   #307
1543 is offline 1543  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yes of course there can not be any pre ringing, wrong translation.
Will try the 3rd order filter and find out which one matches better.
Old 18th April 2021, 10:38 PM   #308
ed linssen is offline ed linssen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default dddac/phidecadac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksound View Post
Hi Ed!
I am sure everyone would like to hear your Phidac comparison to DDDacs,
especially since they are reportedly better sounding than Chord Qutest!
That would be one of the first (indirect, but still) comparisons to established good brands.
Could you post a couple more pictures? I get that the Wima are Boxed Red and they are for DC protection? Did you try first without them? What are the metal caps?
Hi Darksound!
About comparision between DDDac and Phideca?
It's to soon for me to tell some reasonable things about this. The DDDac1794 i use for about I think eight years now, is a two deck build, with a buffer thought out by a diyaudio-member. Including two Tent shunt mods per deck and folowed by an early fifo-reclocker (IanCanada) and than two 600/600 Ohm transformers per channell.
A rather complicated creature but sounding beautiful. (without getting in details)
Comparing apples and oranges I am afraid

But the Phideca blows it's trumpet .like an adult!
Sounding very nice already with a wallwart 15 Volt and a simple C-Media Usb to i2s board. after I changed the Usb converter with the one I use for my DDDac, the 'Luckit' with nice clocks, together with a Salas shunt, bettered
the presentation a little by bringing a bit more rest in the image, a little less forward. Just a little.

Is it worth getting one for so little money? I asure it is. It is playing 24 hours
constantly for the last two weeks, making just very balanced music and I can live with it. (my music preference is acoustical recordings among several I made myself in the past fourty years of choruses and classical concerts. Mostly in beautiful churches.
Timbre of voices and instruments is very precise including the fantastic reverberation of those places!
I like this dac!

BTW: The caps are indeed needed for getting rid of about 7V DC. The wima's do not sound wrong, but it is fun playing with different makes, or combinations of those.
  Reply to this post

PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filtersHide this!Advertise here!