• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Newsflash: complete "Nanook 219" tonearms for sale...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is a re-post from the my latest iteration of the Nanook 219 tonearm" thread.:
Over the years (about 10 now) quite a few folks have asked for complete arms and/or parts to make your own "Nanook 219". I'm thinking of doing just that.

With that in mind, what would everyone like to see offered? Initially I am thinking that a complete arm ready to mount may be the way to go. It would allow me to purchase any machines I require to make the arms and the headshells much more consistently thus reducing sample to sample variances. So what would the benefits be?

Many have stated that getting a single arrow shaft can be difficult (depending on where one lives). Also a decent bearing that allows enough movement without too much (so both the pen nib and plug/set screw I use for the female cup). Many can come up with a counterweight, but I've discovered some that work quite well. What's left? tonearm wiring (length x's 5), 4 cartridge clips, and a pair of RCA plugs (male) or female RCA inputs. So in the end all the stuff that seems to take so long to get can be done once.

And my thoughts:

News Flash...Nanook 219 tonearm arms and parts

I've been getting more than a few requests for either parts or complete "Nanook 219" tonearms so have decided to try and see if folks want to purchase complete tonearms or parts to complete their own. This will not affect any that want to do everything themselves, as I will still help and guide those who make their own. Initially I'll offer only complete tonearms as follows:
  • the arms will have an effective length of approx. 12" (308 mm IIRC);
  • they will be available only in a camouflage anodized finish (other finishes will happen over time);
  • they will be available in only one diameter;
  • they will come with what I call a "universal headshell";
  • they will have the total tonearm wiring limited to approx. 4 ft in length or will be terminated with female RCA connectors and will be "solderless" from cartridge clips to RCA plugs;
  • the tonearm wire and male RCA plugs shall be of my choosing, unless;
  • a "PIB" type connector is used to allow any to use whatever interconnects and ground wiring of their choice and supply in which case the internal wiring and female RCA jacks shall be of my choosing;
  • they will have a provision to add an arm lift mechanism but will not include one (they are overpriced in my opinion)
  • cartridge clips will be a DIY product, but are of good quality
  • a tonearm wood base and mount shall be provided, including male and female bearings, finish to be determined by myself.

This is intended to reduce the outside costs to a reasonable amount while still providing an arm of exceptional quality. In fact, this is how my own arm is configured. There are no shortcuts to the handwork required or the time to make these. And I make no claims of "superior" cosmetics. But they will function as intended and set up requires a minimum of fuss.

The goal with an initial offering is to help finance power tools that will help with the repeatability and consistency from sample to sample.

After an initial offering some details will be changed, but will most notably consist of improved tonearm wire and RCA jacks or plugs (whichever the end user desires). At this time the choices of tonearm colour will be dependant on what my supplier has on hand. Also custom headshells can be available at this time (for example, the famous Denon DL103 has a shorter fore/aft mounting dimension from the stylus tip than many other cartridges). If any have purchased an arm, the '"custom" cartridge plates can be supplied as per your supplied dimensions.

I am thinking that the initial offering will be at USD$200. Shipping costs will be the responsibility of the purchaser due to the non-standard shipping boxes required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.