Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 01:07 AM   #81
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Tranquility Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumboo View Post
This is a very interesting project, and I am definitely interested if this becomes reality!

I would wish for a flexibel signal routing e.g. the ability to mix filtered filtered signals into single output channels (useful for crosstalk cancellation). Also, it would be great with a convienient way of live switching between filter presets.

How is the work proceeding? Is there any time estimate?
Good look with this project!
Yes it's possible to do all of this.

Currently I am ordering components and finalizing the pcbs. Has anyone used pcbway.com to fabricate boards ?

cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 01:27 AM   #82
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Tranquility Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornhamra View Post
Count me in as interested.

I've used the MiniDSP 8x8 in the past, but I find it a bit too closed for tinkering.

I currently use Nick's Najda DSP, and I'm a very happy user. The only things I'm missing in the Najda, and that I would like to see in a new DSP project are;
- I/O boards as pluggables with ribbon cables to the main board (Which you are already doing, great!)
- Automatic preset saving to nvram/flash, so that last state/config is restored upon power loss
Yes the board has EEPROM on board for configuration and current user state settings.

Quote:
- A way to configure the basic everyday features through serial, i2c or spi (Volume, source selection, standby) - And possibly also the core DSP features. This would open up endless possibilities for use, for example connecting a linux SBC to it and developing a web interface for configuration.
Configuration is achieved through the USB port and there is a spare port that could be configured for serial or even connected to a WiFi server.

Quote:
- A better/more intutitive config application (Which I could build myself if the above option was in place). Najda's configuration application is good for punching values, not so much for listening/configuring by ear. I miss a more elegant/intuitive way to configure filters and slopes.
Yes this is possible.

Quote:
The things I do like in Najda and would like to see here:
- Source selection
Yes

Quote:
- Analogue volume control (To avoid bit reduction at low volume), and individual analogue gain per output channel
One of the reasons I chose the ES9018 Sabre DAC was because of it's 32 bit digital volume control being on par with the best analog volume controls. See http://www.esstech.com/pdf/digital-v...me-control.pdf

Quote:
- Optional I2S inputs for external devices (USB-I2S or small SBCs with i2s outs). I know yours has usb audio, but a separate i2s would be nice anyway.

Good luck with the project!
The Digital IO board has an isolated PS Audio style HDMI I2S interface.

cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 03:12 AM   #83
dviswa is offline dviswa  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
What a find :-) Just what I was looking for. I have a stereo 2 way actively crossed over setup running on minidsp. I was looking for a better analog out than what the minidsp provides. This will be perfect.

I will eagerly following this thread.

Thanks Tranquility Bass
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 09:43 AM   #84
bjornhamra is offline bjornhamra  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Yes the board has EEPROM on board for configuration and current user state settings.
.
And this configuration is written to eeprom immediately upon changes so that after power is lost and restored it will be in identical state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Configuration is achieved through the USB port and there is a spare port that could be configured for serial or even connected to a WiFi server.
A spare USB port? Or just a GPIO? Anything connectable to an SBC that presents either a spi, i2c, uart or serial port (maybe even over usb) and a protocol for configuration would solve my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
One of the reasons I chose the ES9018 Sabre DAC was because of it's 32 bit digital volume control being on par with the best analog volume controls. See http://www.esstech.com/pdf/digital-v...me-control.pdf
Fair enough, I agree 32bit would leave enough headroom for this to never be a problem.


Again, count me in. Any closer to an estimated price?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 11:39 AM   #85
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Tranquility Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornhamra View Post
.
And this configuration is written to eeprom immediately upon changes so that after power is lost and restored it will be in identical state?
Currently when you leave the menu page or when the screen saver activates after 10 seconds then parameters are automatically written to the EEPROM. I could have it write the EEPROM after every change but that would be pointless and a waste of write cycles especially when fiddling with the volume control.

Quote:
A spare USB port? Or just a GPIO? Anything connectable to an SBC that presents either a spi, i2c, uart or serial port (maybe even over usb) and a protocol for configuration would solve my problem.
There is already a USB interface that is used to configure the board and I talk to it like it is a COM port.

Quote:
Fair enough, I agree 32bit would leave enough headroom for this to never be a problem.
And it avoids further post processing after the DAC.

Quote:
Again, count me in. Any closer to an estimated price?
Will know this after I get the prototype going and submit the design to the assembly house.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 01:27 PM   #86
bjornhamra is offline bjornhamra  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Currently when you leave the menu page or when the screen saver activates after 10 seconds then parameters are automatically written to the EEPROM. I could have it write the EEPROM after every change but that would be pointless and a waste of write cycles especially when fiddling with the volume control.

There is already a USB interface that is used to configure the board and I talk to it like it is a COM port.

And it avoids further post processing after the DAC.

Will know this after I get the prototype going and submit the design to the assembly house.
Great. every 10 secs should be more than enough. The thing with the Najda is that you first have to save the config to a preset, then shut down the config application and put the device to standby and back, for the config to be saved. Which I find tedious. This sounds better!

Using serial over USB is the same thing as with the Najda (1Mbps d2xx), but what I'm missing is the *additional* port (so that I can control it from USB on a windows pc AND from an SBC/C without switching cables). But from what I understand you've got that covered. Thumbs up!
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 01:52 PM   #87
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Tranquility Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornhamra View Post
Great. every 10 secs should be more than enough. The thing with the Najda is that you first have to save the config to a preset, then shut down the config application and put the device to standby and back, for the config to be saved. Which I find tedious. This sounds better!

Using serial over USB is the same thing as with the Najda (1Mbps d2xx), but what I'm missing is the *additional* port (so that I can control it from USB on a windows pc AND from an SBC/C without switching cables). But from what I understand you've got that covered. Thumbs up!
Currently the menu switches to the screen saver after 10 seconds of user inactivity. It only does this once and not repeatedly so it's only saving data once after any new user activity. You would have to have a power failure in this interval for the updated settings not be saved which is a highly improbable scenario

The audio USB interface for audio is independent of the supervisory USB interface used to control the board so there is no need to switch cables. Having said that, the audio USB interface is isolated but the supervisory USB interface is not.

cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 07:05 PM   #88
nannoo is offline nannoo
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
throw my hat into the ring as an interested customer, depending upon final price and software support, this looks a lot better than the DLCP i was looking at
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 08:39 PM   #89
Tytte71 is offline Tytte71  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
We want some progress reporting
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 08:18 AM   #90
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Tranquility Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Lots of things going on in the background. Have added more functionality to the front panel user controls including mute and standby switch. Previously these were only accessible via the remote control and the board I will be using to test the prototype does not have them either but the final board will.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC projectHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Digital / CrossOver / Multi Amplifier integrated KOON3876 Class D 71 21st November 2014 12:56 PM
Multi channel Linux audio player with integrated amplifier questions. ollepetersson PC Based 5 17th March 2013 03:46 PM
Multi purpose multi channel gainclone PCB: Team project - group buy rick57 Chip Amps 14 29th March 2003 06:54 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki