• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Loudspeakers Transmission Electronics LTD ? Worth something or rubish?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, I found this in my garage, and I cannot find anything about this kind of speakers on the internet. I have really no idea of if this is worth something, or these are just old and unknown worthless big loudspeakers.

I have two of them, (Right and Left) and I remember have 100w of power.

I was not sure in which section of the forum post this sorry if I am wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Patrick

Hi! Thank you for your reply

Sorry for the photos, I made a mistake linking them, there we go:

95 cm High (not counting the wheels, it has 4 wheels)

50 cm Width

45 cm Lenght

I really don't have space for this and I want to sell them, how much could I ask for them? Approximate...

Thanks

Patrick

Hi,

I have some of these and have been trying to find out what they are. I was eventually led to a very helpful gentleman called Jerry at a company called Falcon Acoustics. Here is a copy of the email he sent me

Hi John. These are the Domestic early versions of the Professional Monitor, built before the company fully became IMF. They will date back to about late 1972. They were designed by John Wright and built out of the back of an electrical shop in Oxford Road, Caversham, Reading, where they were produced as a joint venture with the electrical shop owner. The company was then called Transmission Electronics Ltd, and the products were badged IMF. Eventually the joint venture folded as the shop owner decided it wasn’t his “thing” any more, and the IMF side went off I think around mid 1973 to High Wycombe and founded IMF Electronics Ltd.

There was an acrimonious court case running at the same time over the IMF trade mark, IMF was Irving “Bud” Fried, who found John and his colleagues demonstrating the prototypes at the Chicago Audio Show in 1972, and got involved on the marketing side. As no-one had a company name at the time, they all agreed to call it IMF, but the relationship fairly quickly broke down, and resulted in a bitter court case so John and his colleagues could keep the IMF trade mark, which they eventually won. The echoes still rumble on to this day.

I can’t remember what MKDT stands for precisely, it was something Monitor Domestic ? ?.. I can tell you they retailed in 1972 at £102.18s 0p, so they were never a cheap speaker. Sonically they were outstanding for the period.

Does that help?

Best wishes Jerry

Mine have a simpler terminal post arrangement, but other than that they are identical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.