• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Unable to install Rpi Hat software package

Dear all,

This is a cross-post from the TPA support forum but I haven't received any answer to my question for 4 months now so I was hoping to find some help here.

About 6 months ago I purchased the TPA Rpi Hat and Cronus module.
I have installed Volumio on the Pi and I tried to install Miero's software for the Hat but the installation fails.

At it gave the following outcome:

root@volumio:/home/volumio/tpa-hermes-rpi-dev# git pull
Already up-to-date.
root@volumio:/home/volumio/tpa-hermes-rpi-dev# make clean
make -C /lib/modules/uname -r/build M=$PWD clean
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.19.118-v7+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:27: recipe for target ‘clean’ failed
make: *** [clean] Error 2
root@volumio:/home/volumio/tpa-hermes-rpi-dev#

We have also tried the installation with the Cronus installed and powered. Would this be required at all for the installation to succeed?

Anny suggestions or knowledge here?

Thank you!

Jordo

Miero is a member on here, and was logged in earlier this morning, so may be worth messaging him?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/miero.html

Did you follow all of the instructions on the github page, specifically this one?

"apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers gcc make device-tree-compiler git"

Your error message suggests that your kernel headers may not be present?

Last edited:
Hi Yatsushiro,

Thank you for your reply.
As far as we (I'm getting some help on this) can recall we did. But we will take it from scratch again.
I had tried to contact Miero via TPA already but it is good to find him active here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
We have tried to install the software on the Volumio platform again with an extra eye on the kernell headers but it didn't succeed.
Than we've tried with Raspberry PI Debian OS and the installation was successful indeed.

So the TPA (Miero) software is not suitable for Volumio or vice versa.
Who will I need to address now? Volumio?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 16.27.01.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 16.27.01.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 137
That's a good question. It was historically grown I guess.

I've started with an Rpi as a follow up of a Windows media PC.
I needed a player which was compatible with Qobuz.
I found that in Volumio.
The (naked) Rpi has been replaced by an Allo USBridge.
To convert the USB signal I still use the WaveIO all the time but now the TPA Rpi Hat came out I saw a chance to cut the USB conversion out of the chain and supply I2s directly to the DAC.

So my thought was to install the HAT and Cronus on an Rpi, connect it to the DAC using the U.fl connections and that's it.

I'm open to suggestions... Diet Pi it is? What would it require for a DLNA with Qobuz?

Last edited:
Help is on the PI

Hifiberry and Pi make a decent player.

Newer Raspbian distributions support the hardware natively with the adoption

of the dtoverlay parameters. Making the install a breeze.

Configuring Linux 4.x or higher | HiFiBerry

While the Hat will cost you 50 bucks, there are several applications and cases that fit decently.
HiFiBerry

This wizard has whipped a few applications up together.

GitHub - nicokaiser/rpi-audio-receiver: Raspberry Pi Audio Receiver with Bluetooth A2DP, AirPlay, UPnP and Spotify Connect

I have been using it as a device to stream bluetooth audio via phone/(vlc/apple music.......)

I just install using the install-bluetooth.sh install script
sudo ./install-bluetooth.sh

I have used the same git repo for the shariport functionality if you are only using the apple ecosystem and online all the time.
sudo ./install-shairport.sh

I have had the installation fail on me a lot due to package and os version changes to remedy
make sure you have run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

and use sudo to install each piece seperatly. ie shairport or bluetooth

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well, a HiFiBerry would defeat the purpose of the TPA interface and Cronus, which are a cut above as a source of I2S.

...but trying to use Volumio has caused many wasted hours by people also using Hermes/Cronus hardware. It messes with the needed kernel for Hermes output. You should forget about Volumio. DietPi doesn't give you an elegant control interface - what it gives you is a really convenient script-based management system for your RPi operating system. It automates almost all of the annoying work to maintain a current multi-function Debian system, so you can use the RPi for lots of purposes other than audio. However, if you plan to dedicate the RPi mostly to music, perhaps try the moOde player. I don't know if it would introduce the same compatibility problems as Volumio, but it has some very advanced tools for processing music, and it has its own system update function (which is one reason i use DietPi). MoOde is free - no pay-for-function schemes like Volumio (though voluntary contributions are appropriate) - and I believe it is set up to allow Qobuz access. If you try moOde, I'd be interested to hear if it works with the Hermes/Cronus hardware.

moodeaudio.org

Thank you Francolargo,

My French is not the best. But I recon your suggestion would move me away from Volumio. Or can you install DietPi for the correct supporting software and Volumio on top?

I think you should look at moving away from Volumio. Volumio is an OS in itself, so cannot reliably be installed on another OS, such as DietPi.

Volumio essentially uses MPD for music reproduction, as does Moode. Dietpi runs MPD and also offers a variety of MPD client/UI's such as O!MPD (Home - O!MPD)

For the sake of an SD card and some of your time, I'd suggest giving DietPi a try. The support community, from the devs and some quite competent users, is a step above that offered by Volumio.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Volumio essentially uses MPD for music reproduction, as does Moode. Dietpi runs MPD and also offers a variety of MPD client/UI's such as O!MPD (Home - O!MPD)

Thank you for this suggestion! I was unaware of O!MPD and will try it out in the next week or so.

Concerning the moOde player, it has incorporated the Camilla DSP package. For those with the motivation level needed to use REW (Room EQ Wizard), the CamillaDSP package will execute both IIR and FIR filters based on the REW output. …give those Pi cores something to do - but mind the temperatures… Of course, DietPi will run that package as well if one desires. I have not tried it as my ‘main’ system is on a simple BBB.

GitHub - HEnquist/camilladsp: A flexible cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.

I would add that the support forum for moOde is similar to DietPi’s in both format and developer participation.

Enjoy the music, all!

Frank

Possible other option - PiCorePlayer

I just wanted to mention another possible alternative, though I have no experience with it, but know that volumio is using an old kernel (the newest 3.x beta has bumped up the kernel & debian base, however) and is certainly where the problem with it lies.
PiCorePlayer is an excellent sounding distro, based on the Core OS and limited to squeezelite/LMS which I have had excellent results with. Plugins for LMS allow UPNP media compatibility for other devices like foobar2000 on a windows machine or some Linux music players