• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dissimilar triode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Franco,

No.

But then I wonder where would you use an ECC82 triode where you could not as well use the other ECC81 triode?

(As far as I know the tube you mention was specifically made for Dynaco. It got blastedly expensive locally, and I never liked the combination. I converted the usual circuit - input ECC83 and concertina splitter ECC82 - to a pentode input and phase splitter, e.g. ECF80, ECF82, 6U8 or such.)

Regards

I am Editing my answer.
I am sorry, I did not see that it was for a 12AT7.

You are going to need to power a 12AT7 and a 12AX7. But if you have 6.3V, you can power 1/2 of the 12AT7, and 1.2 of the 12AU7.
Still only 300mA total filament current at 6.3V; or if you have 12.6V, then you can series up the 1/2 filaments of each tube, and only use 150mA.

My post below is before I noticed the original post was for a 12AT7.

JJ makes a very good ECC832 / 12DW7.

System I is pins 6, 7, 8. Plate, Grid, Cathode in that order.
System I is the 12AX7.
Filament pin 5 to pin 9.

System II is the 12AU7.
System II is pins 1, 2, 3. Plate, Grid, Cathode in that order.
Filament pin 4 to pin 9.

Pin 4 to pin 5 is 12.6V 150mA

Or connect pin 4 to pin 5, and connect 6.3V from that pair of pins, and the other end to pin 9 (6.3V at 300mA).

And Eurotubes.com in the US re-tests them extensively before shipping them to their customers.

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/index_htm_files/ECC 832.pdf

Preamp Tube Descriptions

They are currently charging $15.50 (Sept 2020).

Do not modify your amplifier, get the right tube.

By any chance, is your amplifier the Dyna 17.5 Watt per channel amp?

Last edited:
Thanks both of you.

I can probably make due with a 6C4 and a 6AB4 if necessary. I am looking at the Iso-Linear schematic at Electra-Print which is for a stereo amp (each channel shares a 12AU7 & 12AT7) but I wanted to convert it to mono blocks.

Modwright uses a similar design in mono block form but altered the circuit so a single 12AT7 was used per channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.