• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What connector for 300vDC DOMESTIC environment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We've talked at length about umbilicals from a hobby point of view, but can anybody state for sure which connectors are specifically allowed under the EU regulations for DOMESTIC equipment at voltages of 300vDC or more.

This is a very specific question, and a lot of connectors we've discussed in the past won't pass the EU regs - there's all sorts of questions about locking/latching, and the DC regs are more strict than the AC ones. And service voltages of say 660vDC for professional environments (EP 4 pin) are de-rated to 50v for domestic environments. All the XLR series are likewise de-rated to 50v. Octal plugs/sockets are banned, and I believe so are D connectors, even the higher voltage specified ones.

Can anybody quote some specific examples of connectors in equipment that has passed the regs? Andy

Look at the second or third page of these posts for a thread called "which connector for psu", it has some info on what others are using.

I don't know the answer to your question, but it brings up an interesting point. Many of the Heathkit items back in the 60's-70's (kits made in USA), especially the Ham stuff, did not always contain a power supply, often you would have to purchase & build the power supply separately. Most often, if I recall, the power supply had a female octal socket, as you mention, and the unpowered unit would plug into it.
Even today here in the USA, if one were to build say 3-4 different amps, unpowered, and then build one power supply to use with all of them (not at the same time of course), it would sure save a lot of money on iron, but is this a good practice or shunned (safety-wise) except on the test bench, especially if (at some later point) you were to try to sell one of these rigs in two pieces as "components"?

I also be curious as to what today's recommended connector types would be, as well as a fairly safe power cable.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Colt45 said:
I'm going to make an assumption that the regulations plain don't allow 300VDC outside of a chassis in a domestic environment.

Why make an assumption like that? You need to do all the research first before making such a blanket pronouncement.

When you get right down to it for home constructed gear the point is probably moot anyway.. In a regulation bound world our equipment is regarded as a major insurance issue to start with regardless of how well built it is. How many of you get your projects VDE/CE, UL or CSA approved? Technically we should not build or use anything not approved by one of the world's many safety agencies, but we all do.

I would simply choose the best connector considered appropriate for the voltages when used in a commercial environment and leave it at that.

There should be some wiggle room (or tacit looking the other way) for DIY in any of the world's remaining democracies.. I'm not aware of any connector police (LOL) running around checking whether or not every piece of gear in someone's home has the right markings on the back. Anyone DIY'ing would be unable to do so if such was the case.

Mind you I'm not making light of this, but sensible precautions like proper primary fusing, safety grounds, not leaving equipment running unattended for extended periods of time, and unplugging when away on vacation, etc. ought to be enough.

I'm going to make an assumption that the regulations plain don't allow 300VDC outside of a chassis in a domestic environment.>>

Well, I've asked everywhere about this and nobody can cite a 300VDC connector in current use in domestic EU equipment, so you may in fact be right. Strange situation.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
AFAIK Jadis still makes and sells the JA200 which is a dual chassis monoblock with the power supply on one chassis and the amplifier on the other. (It's still listed on their website as of today.) Presumably they have an umbilical and connector that is acceptable to the powers that be at VDE or have otherwise obtained an exemption. (Very unlikely)

The pictures I have seen do not show how the units are interconnected. The only ones I saw I believe did have umbilicals, but this was so long ago I can't be sure.

Presumably being built in France and sold both in Europe and elsewhere the current generation of products might reasonably be expected to carry the CE mark? Here is a link to their site: http://www.jadis-electronics.com/

Just comments for further thought and investigation..

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Colt45 said:
I'm going to make an assumption that the regulations plain don't allow 300VDC outside of a chassis in a domestic environment.

I think it's probably fairer to say that there are (as yet) no laws pertaining to such things. I would expect that if it came to court, the onus would be on the individual to show that their construction conformed to best engineering practice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.