• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LPT with low µ triodes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening!

Since I´m soon to be finished with my X-Son of Zen I need a good preamp that converts the unbalanced signal from my CDP to a balanced one which is capable of driving an horribly low input impedance (470 ohms!).
For various reasons I don´t want to build a BZLS, so I´m looking into tube/hybrid territory instead.

To get straight to my question: Does LPT´s work good with low µ triodes like 12B4A?
I´m thinking 6k8 or so on the plates, CCS in the tail and Mosfet buffers on the outputs.
Would I be better of with higher µ triodes and some feedback to get the gain down?
I like the 12B4A very much and I happen to have a good number of them (quality brands) but I´m a little hesitant since I believe I´ve read somewhere that LPT´s works best with high µ triodes.

Best regards,

Daniel

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Fuling said:
Good evening!

Since I´m soon to be finished with my X-Son of Zen I need a good preamp that converts the unbalanced signal from my CDP to a balanced one which is capable of driving an horribly low input impedance (470 ohms!).
For various reasons I don´t want to build a BZLS, so I´m looking into tube/hybrid territory instead.

To get straight to my question: Does LPT´s work good with low µ triodes like 12B4A?
I´m thinking 6k8 or so on the plates, CCS in the tail and Mosfet buffers on the outputs.
Would I be better of with higher µ triodes and some feedback to get the gain down?
I like the 12B4A very much and I happen to have a good number of them (quality brands) but I´m a little hesitant since I believe I´ve read somewhere that LPT´s works best with high µ triodes.

Best regards,

Daniel

since you want to use CCS in tail,I don't see why you can't use 12B4 in LPT............
in that configuration length of tail is always critical........and with CCS your is biggest :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.