• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ideas for a tube that heavily distorts ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to know if there are special types of tube that
heavily distort a signal instead of being linear.
This because I'd like to build a distortion-effect with tubes but
something different than overdriven 12AX7/ECC83.
Thermionic Culture for instance uses a 6AS6 tube.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Jim

Try playing games with a pentode (or tetrode like the other guy suggested). Maybe a EF86 or something simple. 6AU6? Maybe drive the screen with signal instead of grid. Or tie screen with a high value resistor such that it gets sucked down for long sustain.

Don't limit yourself to triodes. How about a vari-mu tube?

jh

dual control tubes: 7 pin: 6GY6, 6GX6, 6HZ6, 6AS6, 6DB6, 6DT6, 5725, 6187, 6954

What do you think is the best way to hook them up ?
Signal to grid and changing screen-grid voltage for less or more
distortion ?
Feeding signal in both control-grid and suppressor grid ?

ray_moth said:
You could have real fun experimenting with a frequency-changer lke a triode-hexode.

How could I use those ?

Greetings,
Jim

I was experimenting with an old Fender Champ (5C1 series) several years ago when I came across an interesting discovery. The old (really old) Champs used a 6SJ7 pentode (sharp cutoff pentode) for the voltage amplifier tube. If you plug in a 6SK7 (remote cutoff pentode) instead the amp works normally when the guitar signal is low (volume knob on the guitar on 5 or less) as the drive is increased the distortion increases. Driving the amp with a fuzz box set on its cleanest setting produced a unique sound. This sound went away when I put the 6SJ7 back. I never got around to experimenting with that sound.

More recently I was testing out boxes full of tubes trying to find out which types were suitable for clean, undistorted voltage gain. I made a similar discovery. I found that a 6AU6 can be used for clean gain but the similar remote cutoff pentode, 6BA6 would not deliver more than a few millivolts without distorting no matter how much I tried. It may be possible to use this phenomenon to an advantage in a distortion effects unit. The distortion is dependent on the tube current and the screen voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.