• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help me with this puzzle...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have:

one 750vct 175mA tranny with 5v 3A and 6v 6A taps
four dual 47uF 500v ELNA cerafine PS caps
two 5H 150mA chokes 160DCR i think

i need to make a PS for a 300v supply... (for a u-follower).

that is one tranny and 2 supplies (one per channel).

minimum current draw per channel is 18mA... but a resistor for regulation and it may bring this up more...

rectifiers... doesn't matter... your choice.

these are the parts i have.... i want to use these. build me a 300v power supply... ripple is not that much of an issue as it will be for a u-follower.

Thanks!

AG,

I have a suspicion that the chokes you have are NOT suitable for choke I/P service. It's likely they will "sing".

A 300 V B+ rail from your trafo, tube rectified, into a choke I/P filter is about right. A 5AR4, with its LOW forward drop, will allow you to overcome DCR issues.

IMO, you need 2 more parts for the PSU. A choke of at least 10 H. (20 H. is BETTER) that's rated for choke I/P service and a 40 muF. 'lytic of decent quality. You use pseudo dual mono topology. A common LC section (with an appropriate bleeder resistor) made from the new parts follows the rectifier. Separate LC sections (1 per channel) made from the chokes and Elna caps. you already have follow the common LC section. That adheres to well proven ARRL recommendations and also gives you channel to channel isolation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.