• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone make a VU with a magic eye ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious if any of you guys have done this..

I bought a lot of tubes a while back (hasn't got here yet though)

One of them is a 6FG6. Its a magic eye, with the phospor stuff on the side instead of the end. (Also known as EM84 I think... )

Just wondering if it was common place to use eye tubes for this application? or was it not very common..

I guess I would need two of these if I wanted to put it on a stereo amp. Oh well..

Our family used to have an old valve reel-to-reel tape recorder that got thrown out (!#$!@$) which had a magic eye level meter... It was really nice... Glowed bright green.

You could just use one of these, just connect it up to only one channel. I mean, it doesnt really need to be accurate right! Usually channels are roughly the same level anyway.

Hi colt45
I haven`t done it until now but sure I´ll do it once because I love the appearance of this magic eye tubes too.
Here`s a link to a great page that shows You EVERYTHING in detail about how to build Your own VU (even accurate) with magic eyes tubes:
http://www.megabaud.fi/~jtolonen/ga/peakmtr/peakmtr.html
There are tubes for stereo application also (EMM801/803) but they are hard to find and expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.