• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

bootstrapping two SE transformers into a pp one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i konw you can bootstrap them together, but is there a special wiring to have them operate like a normal push-pull transformer? i've got a pair of old japanese el84 ones that could be very nice but i have no use for aything in in stereo..... i was thinking of deigning a monoblock to match my current one made out of an old hammond for the basement now too.... any ideas?

spot on fragman, except P-P load will remain the same as single tranny coz turns ratio is still the same. for example, take two 2k SE trannys and put both primary and secondary in series, turns ratio will stay the same.

Attachments

• new.gif
    new.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 188
benny said:
spot on fragman, except P-P load will remain the same as single tranny coz turns ratio is still the same. for example, take two 2k SE trannys and put both primary and secondary in series, turns ratio will stay the same.

IMO Benny's idea will not work satisfactorily. The only chance is if the two separate secondaries are hooked up in parallel to each other and the speaker load. Even that arrangement will yield gross inefficiencies over a proper single output xfmer.

bootstrapped se

I did this very thing. I have a pair of stereo 2a3 se amps, so as an experiment I hooked the outputs in parallel, out of phase, and then made a simple voltage divider to use one input tube as a paraphase inverter. They work very well. I think there are a couple of manufacturers who are doing this type of output configuration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.