• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High voltage chokes with mid-connection.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a couple of “tube golden era” chokes with multiple connections. My question is how those chokes are wound with regard to cancelling core saturation, and how could I use them properly.

Choke #1 has 4 terminals, marked with the “universal choke sign” between each pair of terminals, and 125 ma marked at each. I measure the inductance as 12.5 Henries, and 120 Ohm between each terminal. How do I determine the connections to use with this choke in a way that would cancel core saturation, when used as independent chokes for high voltage supplies to two channels of an amp.

Choke #2 is large (18 lbs) and has three terminals, 3 H and 30 Ohms between terminals. Current is unknown. So, it appears to be two chokes in series, each 3H and 30 Ohms. Across outer terminals I measure 6 H and 60 Ohms. How were these choke intended to be used? The question is if I could use it with input at center terminal for branched 3H chokes in a stereo HV supply? Would that cause an additive load on the core, if the design originally intended to be series chokes with a capacitor at the middel termimal?

I would suspect #1 to be a common mode choke. But #2 with only 3 terminals escapes me, unless it's 2, 3h chokes in parallel with input internally connected. I'd hook it to B- on the power supply, and see how it behaves. (It will still filter, and should it short it's at low potential, not high)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I will bet 2 cents that there was also a multi-capacitor block.

This leads to a really simple construction.

Attachments

• Mid-Choke-----42.gif
    Mid-Choke-----42.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 108