• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformer took a hit

Hi everybody !

I'm new here. I didn't find a place te present myself, so i do it here.

I'm a jazz/rock and so on guitar player from Belgium, always playing on tube amps for years and years.

One of my amp took some rock and roll on the side, and the transformer took a hit. on the side. (See picture below.)

IMG_1168.jpg

My questions are the following : do you think the transformer is broken ? If not sure, do you think i can try to switch the amp on without damaging anything else than the transformer if it's broken ? (NB : the amp wasn't switched on when it took that hit and has never been switched on since.)

I don't have much of a peny to ask to a technician to repare it right now, but i still would like to play so hit singles if it's still working.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and help.

Best everything you like,

Y.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would guess it would be OK electrically. Why not undo the nuts and slide the bolts out and pop the cover off to look.

If you do that then get a feel for the tightness of the nuts/bolts first. Tighten them up equally afterwards.

What Mooly said! I would add, once you take off the little grey cover, with nothing more complicated than a small hammer and a 2 inch pile of recycled corrugated cardboard (to hammer on, but 'with give'), I'd just de-indent that cover, and with a small can of metal-friendly spray paint, give it a spray job, and put it back. Noting now tight the screws need to be, per Mooly. You're pretty much good to go, after that. And it only costs you time, and very little money. Spray paint. Seven bucks.

I'd take the dented cover off and check the coil windings where the dent was to be sure that the coils are not damaged. If not, then just take the end cap off and pound out the dent the best you can or else don't bother with that if the cosmetics aren't a concern. If coil has damage, I'd look for another xfmr, even if the damaged xfmr is still working. Its reliability could be compromised.

I double on what's been already stated. Before firing anything up, remove the end bells and check the windings and bobbin inside. That dent doesn't look too bad, it might not even have hit the bobbin. But better safe than sorry.

And if you don't know what to look for after you've removed the end bell, just take another picture of the innards and post it here for advice. I won't bet, but I'd strongly suspect that cosmetic damage is all that's happened here.

As others said the transformer is most likely fine.

After removing the dented cover, I would also recommend opening the amp and making sure nothing has come loose inside due to the shock. Gently push on components with your finger to check for broken solder joints, also make sure there are no heavy components that bent their leads so they might touch stuff they shouldn't touch, check the screws, check any PCBs for cracks or broken standoffs, etc. Shouldn't take very long.

Last edited:
Hi you all guys !

First of all, thanks a lot for all your answers. It's really appreciated.

Actualy, you all said what i thought it would be. My only problem now is it will be very easy to open the transformer. But it will be very hard to put back in place as the screws that keep it in place are litteraly the first ones to be tightened when you assemble that amp. So i will have to dismantle everything, in order to check the inside of it. I will post a picture once it's done.

Once again, thanks a lot to everybody ! We find everything on the internet ! Justin Bieber as well as people helping each other ! It's amazing !

Y.

Last edited:
As said before, better safe than sorry. Please do the effort of dismantle everything just to remove this end bell just for inspecting. Maybe you don't have to desolder all the wires prior to remove this bell, as they're obviously protruding through the one at the other side. If still unsure, show us a photo of the open transformer.

Best regards!

Depending on how tight the wiring under the chassis is you might get away with just undoing the bottom two bolts which tie the endbells and transformer to the chassis, then lifting the transformer up 2 centimeter, undoing the top screws and pull off the endbells. So the wiring and the two brackets stay connected to the chassis but you can pull off the endbells.

However it is still worth to just go all the way, just to be sure