• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ARC Classic 150 Problem

At least you have one channel that is working so that helps in troubleshooting for the technician by cross referencing. The worst is not knowing what the right operation is supposed to be and poking in the dark. Good luck.

PS, Looking at any ARC schematic always gives me a headache so I vowed to never buy anything designed by WZJ, unless I intend to gut the unit like my LS1 preamp - I'm sucker for their chassis!

Having 1 channel working does indeed simplify the troubleshooting.

ARC's schematics are not the easiest to follow, over the last few years I've spent most of my time working on Sonic Frontiers' products (as the ARC has had no issues including the conversion of single ended to balanced input), circuits are far moire intuitive to follow as long as you stay away from the logic portions. The logic in my Line 3 will make you pull your hair out.

The classic styling of ARC is timeless. The now discontinued Sonic Frontiers products were nice as well. Gotta love the 'puck' remote control.

The classic styling of ARC is timeless. The now discontinued Sonic Frontiers products were nice as well. Gotta love the 'puck' remote control.

Timeless indeed is the word. When it comes to preamp appearances, the original Audio Research SP6 is a true classic and the tradition continues all the way to the LS1 and LS3 with the 4 knobs at top and toggle switches at bottom. It has just the right amount of functions without clutter but short of being ascetic minimalist like other LS series preamps. And those ARC knobs are instantly recognizable. I prefer an industrial look, not audio jewelry as the recent trend of stupid thick chunky shiny faceplate absolutely upsets me by their pretentiousness. I also prefer a preamp with 19" rackmount faceplate and handles are a bonus, essentially I want my preamps to look like studio gears, the EMT JPA66 is a dream product for me. That SP6 look ticks all the boxes for me. So when I got a chance to buy an LS1 cheap, I jumped at the opportunity so I could gut it to customize the sound to my liking as its stock sound is unlistenable like the worst solid state. The look of the new generation of ARC products is an abomination. They got rid of the classic ARC knobs! It's like a beautiful movie star getting a nose job and ruining her look!

Speaking of Sonic Frontiers, I have an hybrid SFL-1 preamp here to check for some faulty soldering. It's well built and the front panel has the right amount of functions. If I ever get one at a decent price, I would modify it.

Last edited:
I finally got some feedback from the ARC recommended service technician (he has had my amp since June 1st). I also have spoken to the ARC service manager on the problem.

The technician is looking for Q25 in the Tube Saver Circuit (ARC p/n 30006822), the part is no longer available per ARC Service Manager and they have lost all of the documentation on the part including the generic part number. As per many components used in ARC products the p/n was removed from the device at time of assembly. He also told me that I could not simply use the part from a Classic 30, 60, 120 or even M-300.

Does anyone has information p/n the suspect component?