• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

E88CC/01 Any major difference between an E88CC?

I found a pair of these yesterday and they are both NOS and test as new at 12,600 umhos, both mullards.

At first i thought they were just E88CC, but noticed the /01 at the end which actually designates a different part number.

Seems they are a "special quality" E88CC that has low noise.

Isint that what an E88CC should be?

Sounds to me that one of these is a super dooper high quality ECC88, even moreso than the E88CC?

If its low noise, I wonder whats different, they look pretty much identical, but perhaps they have a twisted heater or something?

Either way, probably nice tubes for my phono stage, although will there be any noticeable benefit?
I still have a pair of used E88CC mullards that test near new.

You done well to discover the /01's, the Halo Getter is extremely rare as a Matched Pair .
I have searched out a Matched Halo Getter Pair for a Few Years.
They are as said, selected for Oscilloscopes.

I have heard these in a Tube Rolling exercise, alongside other Early 60's Vintage Brands, and it took me two years to source my own Pair of /01's with the Halo Getter.

Hi nzoomed,

Are you able to say where you got them from or is that a secret ;)?

It was a private seller who often finds tubes from deceased estates. (No it was not Paul Burgess) Cant even remember his name, but I first met him at an Amateur radio club a while back. I have bought a few tubes off him over the years.

I found some other tubes in his lot, he claimed everything was NOS and had to swap out the boxes as he claims they were damaged, but some clearly look used and others did not test as new, but for the most part most of the tubes appear new and certainly test as a NOS tube should.
Got a telefunken smooth plate ECC83 in there that sadly looks like half the getter has gone, and a telefunken EF86, along with some mullard ECC81 and a bunch more EF86 and a couple of ECC83.
He was asking stupid money for them individually, but said i could have the whole lot for only $150 which didnt make any sense to me. Im not complaining even if he was not being true to his description, since ive got at least 1 good matched pair of these.

Ive got draws full of tubes I need to test right now, ive just finished calibrating my Weston 981 tester and need to get a socket saver ;)

Last edited:
There are / 01's from other suppliers.
Phillips from Holland is one Brand and some are Unbranded with only the Code.

The Later and more common Type is the Revolver Getter /01.

Phillips and mullard were essentially the same company, so is no surprise to me.

I cant find any other brands from whst I've seen on ebay or Google images plenty of unbranded CV2493 that look like they were made by philips or mullard.