• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

NP-100v12 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently build a hybrid headphone amp from NP-100v12: DIY 12AU7 (ECC82) Tube / IRF510 MOSFET Headphone Amplifier .

Currently, I am combating a hissing noise that increase in volume as I turn the pot. I have built a LM317 regulator for it. I also have used an SMPS, but still have noise. The difference is, using the linear PSU the noise is a hissing noise which increase in volume as I turn my pot, while using the SMPS the noise is a constant humming noise.

The tubes in it is a 12AT7, which based on the original thread is compatible for this amp. What could be the problem in my build? Your help is appreciated

Also, can I use this amp as a preamp/buffer? If so, do I need to change something? Thanks!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> hissing noise that increase in volume as I turn the pot

Then it may be coming from *before* the pot.

Or through thin air, if it is not in a metal box.

A 12AU7 would have less of these noises than a 12AT7.

Or through the power supply wires since there is NO power filtering shown on the amplifier plan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.