• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp with rectifier tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some schematics for a preamplifier that uses a 5R4 or similar rectifier tube, such as the MingDa MC-7R or something similar. I have the schematics for the MC-7R, but I was hoping to find some alternatives. I'm not quite familiar enough with electronics to design one myself.

I'm interested specifically in the use of the 5r4 because I spotted some solid state rectifiers that use the 5r4 socket, which gives me an option to play around a bit easier with the effects of tube vs solid state rectification and the impact on sound.

As a side note, I did try googling, but obviously didn't have much luck.

A slew of types share basing with the 5R4. Those plug in SS rectifiers raise the B+ rail voltage, perhaps dangerously so, and they are noisy.

In a brand, spanking, new build I strongly suggest you employ high peak inverse voltage (PIV) Schottky diodes, which are every bit as quiet as vacuum rectification, and have done with matter.

Reactions: 1 user
The one I am building right now uses tube rectifiers.
913682d1611177795-guide-building-chinese-kit-douk-audio-12ax7-12au7-stereo-vacuum-tube-preamp-preamp1-jpg

I am pretty much of a n00b at this, but from my reading and ham experience I can tell you tube diodes have higher internal resistance, and thus more voltage change with changes in current, than a solid state diode.
For what it's worth this pre-amp uses tube diodes and the power amp I just finished up uses solid state.

I agree with the members that look on the provided schematic negatively.

A substantial amount of gain might have made sense, if the signal source was a ceramic phono cartridge whose O/P was a few tenths of a volt. Line stage gain is rarely needed in combination with modern, digital, sources. Attenuating excess gain harms S/N performance. :mad:

If "hollow state" is desired in the control center, buffer the volume control(s) with high transconductance (gm) cathode followers. JMO, effects machines belong on the Instruments and Amps "board".

It is a kit, I didn't design it myself. The amp I built from the same place, Douk Audio, seems to work well enough so I am going to give this a go and see how it does. I can't really say why they used two rectifier tubes unless they just wanted it to look cool with more tubes, the amp kit used a solid state bridge rectifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.