• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triode connected E180F/6688

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A "screen " is usually designated as G2 that's very common in radio work and as the tube is used for HF communications instead of being automatically connected to the cathode G3 as a GRID its separate as special communications equipment sometimes demand that .

In "triode mode " G2/screen is connected to the plate .

Grid 3 is a "suppressor grid " and usually tied to the cathode to keep high speed electrons from bouncing off the plate on impact.

by the way, not sure what you are building, but the 6e6p - DRY is a SUPERB headphone driver. 180v, 30 to 35ma, 2.4v cathode bias through SIC diodes. I honestly prefer it to the now hideously expensive d3a. Mu is less, but we dont need the extreme of the d3a in this instance. The odd one is microphonic, but same for d3a. Biggest drawback is the heater current, datasheet says 500ma, i measure nearer 600, so they are thirsty, and get hot.

Wanted to swap the 2 types with a minimum of changes

I can change the bias easily using one of Ale Moglia's SiC boards. So what I need to know is can I connect pin 8 of the 6e6 to the top of the cathode. I believe the data sheet says to connect to a considerably lower potential, so is the 3.5 volt bias low enough?
Alternatively if pin 8 is grounded will it be a problem for the E180F, which has internal screen/g3 at that position? Sorry if I did not make myself clear before:(

pin 8 on 6e6p should be grounded, and probably will not be ok grounded for the e180f.

Two options - when swapping remember to desolder and move other option is create something like my attempt with small switches. When i settle on the final design, that whole board will be ripped out and i will point to point the final design (removing pots, bias selector, pin 8 switches). Currently that is more likely to be with the 6e6p dr version, not the d3a version.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
E180F is a "real" pentode, has three grids.
The third grid (Pin 8) is working also as screen.

6E6P (DR) has only two grids, and one conductive layer as screen (Pin 8).
https://i2.wp.com/www.bartola.co.uk/valves/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/6E6P-DR.jpg

In triode mode -in both cases- the second grid (g2) connected to anode (with resistor as Key wrote), the third (or screen) connected to the most lower potential of the tube, to the cathode.

Don't get puzzled, please, as in geeral "screen" may relate to the internal shielding as well as to the 2nd pentode grid. It comes clear with a close look at the individual tube's pinout (screen grid connected to the cathode or suppressor grid g3 won't make too much sense).

Best regards!

6E6P is an output tetrode like many power tubes , but for HF that's why it has a shield at pin 8 to be connected to ground as usual ...
This has nothing to do with a small signal pentode as E180F where G3 & shield is usually connected to cathode . But there is not much difference if the cathode is a few volts above ground .

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Data for 6688/E180F as triode

The June 1961 Amperex data sheet for the triode connected 6688/E180F shows grid 3 (pin 8) connected to the cathode (pins 1 and/or 3) and grid 2 (pin 9) connected to the anode/plate (pin 7).

For Vak = 151V and Vgk = 9V, ia = 16.5mA, gm = 18.5 mS, mu = 50, rp = 2700 Ohms.

The same data is in the original 1956 Rogers Electronics registration papers for the 6688.

Some years ago Richard Sears kindly published measured anode curves for the triode connecected 6688/E180F (here: http://www.triodeguy.com/Triodeguy PDF files/6688 Triode Curves RFS Measurements.pdf)

Thanks for the info

I really appreciate that info. I tried biasing with 2 SiC diodes and ended up with about 185 volt at the plate and 1.75 volts bias, about 15 ma. I have quite a few of these and they are pretty consistent. The 6E6 is inconsistent but initial impressions are that I prefer the 6e6:eek: Will give it a few more hours before making up my mind:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.