• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Victoreen Corotron M42c-12, any datasheet?

Hi,

Does anyone happen to see this thing? I have 3 pcs of it as google finds no datasheet and where it is being used for?

I found one item on sale but its M42c-9, and also no datasheet. i don't know if its vacuum tube or somewhat related.

Attachments

• VICTOREEN.jpg
    VICTOREEN.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 185
  • victoren electron tube.jpg
    victoren electron tube.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 186
Victoreen was a manufacturer of radiation measuring equipment such as dosimeters, geiger counters and related apparatus. A corotron is a gas filled shunt regulator for high voltage. Not useful for audio in any way. They often contained small quantities of radio active materials to aid in regulation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, it's just happened that it was included in my parts haul and don't know nothing about it. If it can't be used for Audio, then it might be good for the museum or collection display.

By there looks i think they are HV applications by the term Corotron which mostly used before in our Photocopiers, Corotron wires AND CORONA discharge of KVolts range..

last night one my friend send me link for Victoreen catalog and I found out that this is Like a HV zener but uses Corotron as regulating agent. 12kvolts / 1ma drain current.
So Its definitely no use for Tube audio amplifier, maybe industrial and medical equipment's.

Thanks..

Raytheon CK5889 Electrometer Tube

While on the subject, may as well know. Before SS devices were available electrometer tubes were common in the research lab & radiation studies & measurement. They are primarily an impedance matching device from an extremely high impedance to something more in line with ordinary measurements. And operated at low voltage in order to minimize any ionic currents.
Measure extremely small currents, extreme resistances, Etc.:)
Some experimenters have used tubes such as the 6J7GT as electrometers when the requirements of the application are not as extreme.

Attachments

• CK5889 Raytheon.pdf
    620 KB · Views: 55
Catshot here, going through my old stuff I also found the Victoreen M42C-9KV voltage regulator tube. Same question, does anyone have a datasheet for this tube? BTW, I have an old FSN database, 2GB worth from 1993. Yeah, a little old but priceless when looking up 'old stuff'. Give me a Part # or FSN and I'll give it a shot and send you the results in pdf.