• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSUD2 warning: IFRM exceeded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using PSUD2 to design a PSU using 5AR4 rectifier.

I think I used too much capacitance, but it can't be helped. During the first second it throws a warning about the IFRM of the rectifier is exceeded.

I'd imagine the rectifier tube isn't warmed up yet at that point and shouldn't be conducting much. Do I need to pay attention to the warning?

Or do I need an inrush current limiter?

Not much to go on. And I never used PSUD2.

Are you aware of, and respecting, the maximum capacity of 60uF right after the 5AR4, when simulating a capacitor input filter? And the minimum values for the total dc-resistance the transformer windings should form (if too low, extra resistors have to be placed in the anode leads of the 5AR4 to reach those minimum resistance values)?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Schematic?

Maybe too low inductance, too low DCR of inductor, too high first capacitor, too low ESR of capacitor....

The capacitor is practically short circuit at the beginning, the charging pulses would reach the Amper greatness (until it is charged), the limiting factor is the choke's DCR, the capacitor ESR and the choke inductance (the first charging pulses are practically large spikes).

Sample of bad construction: 5AR4, 1H, 100uF, 300mA load

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
There is a stepped load function for current taps. Your tubes don't conduct instantaneously so use the stepped function. I generally set the first step for a few mA and then after a second or so step up to the actual current. I stagger the steps from the voltage amp, driver tubes and output tubes so they don't all conduct simultaneously.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.