• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LEBEN CS300F Tube-Rolling Options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After more than three years of faithful service, it is time to re-tube our wonderful little LEBEN CS300F Integrated (Tube) Amp.

The stock new amp arrived with 4 x JAN6197 (GE, USA) Power Tubes and 2 x 17EW8 (Hi Fi, Japan) Driver Tubes - and has always sounded superb.

These less popular tubes are not too expensive, so I was thinking about having a bit of fun and trying some tube-rolling.

Has anyone tried some alternatives?

Will changing Driver tubes make more/less impact than changing Power tubes?

Are there any "hen's teeth" versions of these less popular little tubes that are worth seeking out?

I'm looking forward to getting an order placed, so we can be back into the LEBEN sound real soon.

Until then, we are "slumming it" with our rare little CREEK CAD4040S3 Integrated (SS) Amp.
(Just kidding... it's a real nice amp too!)

Since you posted this in a DIY forum, I would suggest addressing the rising treble response and the square wave ringing first and foremost. If possible, a little more feedback to drive the output impedance down a little more might help too, or simply triode strapping the finals would shore up the base performance level of the amp significantly at the cost of a little bit of the power.

An HCC85 in place of the 17EW8 might be nice. Look for seams in the top of the glass to indicate European origins.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.