Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Ordering from Justradios.com
Ordering from Justradios.com
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2020, 03:19 PM   #101
astouffer is offline astouffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Pretty much any modern cap is going to be superior to what is being replaced. I guarantee that in a 50 year old radio you won’t hear a difference between a 10 cent cap versus a $10 cap. Buy 105c rated electrolytics and poly film caps for the rest. All the old low value pF caps should be fine. Replace the caps and enjoy the radio.
Old 29th June 2020, 03:41 PM   #102
Fjellreven is offline Fjellreven
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astouffer View Post
Pretty much any modern cap is going to be superior to what is being replaced. I guarantee that in a 50 year old radio you won’t hear a difference between a 10 cent cap versus a $10 cap. Buy 105c rated electrolytics and poly film caps for the rest. All the old low value pF caps should be fine. Replace the caps and enjoy the radio.
What if its a more high end Model like huldra 7 connected to a decent sound card playing a flac file
Old 29th June 2020, 03:56 PM   #103
duncan2 is online now duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fjellreven -- FLAC is compressed the audio WAV files I use are UN- compressed.

Huldra 7 Radio Tandberg Radio; Oslo, build 1963–

Even has a "Magic Eye " and stereo EL84 output

over 1000 Krona must be "upper class Norwegian "
Old 29th June 2020, 04:06 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

I have a seperate question why was almost every speaker made in norway back in the Day 4 ohm,for example the tandberg type 165 that was used in several tube radio's. I know its possible to make a 4 ohm tube radio, but when i search online everyone said you should use a speaker with No less then 8 ohms and the higher the impedance the better. i know that impedance changes depending on the frequency its Just that i was hoping to use some old 4 ohm 3 to 10 watt speakers with the tube radio's. I am aware i should use highly sensitive speakers though.
Old 29th June 2020, 04:38 PM   #105
astouffer is offline astouffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan2 View Post
Fjellreven -- FLAC is compressed the audio WAV files I use are UN- compressed.

Huldra 7 Radio Tandberg Radio; Oslo, build 1963–

Even has a "Magic Eye " and stereo EL84 output

over 1000 Krona must be "upper class Norwegian "
Lol FLAC is lossless compression. A decompressed file is a bit for bit copy of the original. FLAC even does checksums to prove it.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:01 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

I would need some convincing Astouffer .
Old 29th June 2020, 06:07 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Can i use 4 ohm speakers with tube amps. I want to use tandberg speakers with tandberg tube radio's and almost all of the tandberg speakers are rated 4 ohm.
Tandberg-høyttalere

If i could i would get hifi system 14 its 4 ohm but its very sensitive and also its got the right aestethic.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:31 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

The old original standard was 3 ohms and 15 ohms with some variation .

The old radios I have worked on were all lower than 8 ohms which is a comparatively "modern " impedance compared to very old radios and amplifiers .

Look Fjellreven only one thing counts the OUTPUT impedance of the output transformer not "what some guy told you " they obviously are referring to modern era amplifiers not old tube radios .

Even if it is 4 ohms a 3 ohm speaker will still work with it .
Why ? because the audio frequency is severely restricted in an AM radio and a lower end FM radio of that era will not allow full FM audio reproduction it will be able to receive the FM but it wont be "hi-fi " reproduction .

Later tuners were an improvement , remember its also got to do with the ability to demodulate the signal down to good quality reproduction in a cheap end old radio that's never going to happen.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:46 PM   #109
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Ordering from Justradios.com Send a message via AIM to audiowize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjellreven View Post
What if its a more high end Model like huldra 7 connected to a decent sound card playing a flac file
Dude, this is a 1963 table radio... The speakers and electronics will be designed to reproduce the vocal range and not much else.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:08 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowize View Post
Dude, this is a 1963 table radio... The speakers and electronics will be designed to reproduce the vocal range and not much else.
What if i connect it to something like this

Tandberg høyttaler Hi-Fi System 3

Im sorry but you are wrong if you were right then why did tandberg made hifi speakers that went into the 16khz range and remember this many tandberg product had seas parts for example the sølvsuper 7 deluxe had two seas tweeters that went into the 20khz range.

Ordering from Justradios.comHide this!Advertise here!