• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is the Bottlehead Crack comperable to any commercially made Chiense alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It doesn’t answer the question of why such an expensive kit would come with a bad tube to begin with. Pay top dollar and get mediocrity?

They do test all the tubes before they ship them, but as above a tube tester cannot detect all issues. You do realise you are whingeing about a long obsolete 60-70 year old tube that went bad, i mean, what are the odds of that happening...

I wouldn't call them "top dollar" either. Go build your own and see how much change you have out of $300.

I think you should definitely buy a Chinese amp. If a Chinese toroidal transformer is more desirable to you than a transformer designed and wound in the US, then you're going to be happier with a different product.

Maybe you'll get some of these awesome "authentic" parts that Nobsound includes with their kits.

Attachments

• 20190225_084354.jpg
    20190225_084354.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 256
Well it's really $392 because of their expensive shipping.

Shipping is expensive for everyone. The "shipper" doesn't decide what the rate is going to be.

I'm surprised the part cost adds up that much given Chinese sell high power amps with a heavy teroidal transformer for the same incl. shipping.

You don't seem to understand that there's a lot more to selling amplifier kits than just the parts cost.

Personally, I dont like bottleheads marketing ploy on human addictive substances. I'd NEVER call a product by such a name, just for a possibility of increased sales...

For most of us, it's just a name.:rolleyes:

jeff

Two things that Bottlehead is known for is their almost moron proof assembly instructions and a great customer forum.

Crack goes on sale every once in a while. It is one of the easiest kits to build with a number of mods possible. The kits are fun to build, I have built eight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.