• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grounding order on buss bar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I have a general question about the order that component grounds should be connected to a buss bar in a tube phono preamp with p2p wiring.

This is what I think for buss bar order:

Chassis - Input - 1st stage - 2nd stage - output stage - (B-) - (H-)

I am not referring to the safety ground, to me that is an entirely separate entity.

Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks

The B+ negative supply lead is either the center tap of the B+ secondary, or it is the Bridge rectifier negative output.

The negative of the B+ supply lead needs to connect directly to the negative of the first B+ filter cap. This is a minimum distance hum and noise ground loop. Good.
After that, put a separate wire from the negative of the B+ first filter cap to the buss bar.

If instead you connect the negative of the B+ supply (secondary center tap, or bridge negative out) to the buss bar, and connect the negative of the first filter cap to the buss bar, you have created a much longer hum and noise ground loop. Bad.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
E
The B+ negative supply lead is either the center tap of the B+ secondary, or it is the Bridge rectifier negative output.

The negative of the B+ supply lead needs to connect directly to the negative of the first B+ filter cap. This is a minimum distance hum and noise ground loop. Good.
After that, put a separate wire from the negative of the B+ first filter cap to the buss bar.

If instead you connect the negative of the B+ supply (secondary center tap, or bridge negative out) to the buss bar, and connect the negative of the first filter cap to the buss bar, you have created a much longer hum and noise ground loop. Bad.

Ok, just one connection to buss.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.