• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New base to fit VF14 Valve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New Socket for VF14 Valve

I am lucky enough to have become the owner of a Neumann U47. It needs a little TLC and I don't want to ship it anywhere at the moment. I have been advised that a very common source of crackling noise, which I have, is tarnishing of the valve base and I guess pins. I would like to replace the base with something of very high quality. Any recommendations? I am in Cork Ireland, EU. Also any advice on cleaning the pins of the VF14?
Thanks in advance,
Dan FitzGerald
SoundSound Recording Studio

Last edited:
Now that's what I call a rare valve !
Its base is not even on my AVO VCM but it is on an old Taylor 45C valve tester of which I hold the top section containing the bases for spares.

The base on the Taylor is Bakelite .
The price of a VF14 is astronomical but don't click on --phaedrus-audio as their links to that base have malware but you are at liberty to ignore my warning.

Its a German version of the American "steel tubes " of the ,40,s gets a good write up (apart from the price ) .

Have a read of-

vf14 vs uf14 vs ef14

eBay sells them -
10pcs 10pin Bakelite Tube Socket EL156 AZ11 AZ12 EZ150 VF14 EF12 EL11 Vavle Amp | eBay

Neumann mics used the NUVISTOR --13CW4 in the well known -U47/48 mics when the Telefunken VF14 was unavailable.

Here is a handy list of tubes (valves ) for those starting out.-
Tube Datasheets

Last edited:
Perfect answer thanks. 10 Pin wow. I am told that metal oxidising is the biggest cause of crackly noises I am all too familiar with from my other mics, U67s.
Also I have read that that valve bases are something special insulation wise. So I am looking for a modern thing with perhaps teflon body and perhaps gold connectors.
I would gladly bring it to Andreas Grosser, and will certainly do some day. But I have no real desire to keep it all original if I can find better. Replacing a base and perhaps the very high resistors should be easy. I do have a workstation.BTW h says that over 80% of the mics he 'revitalises' come up to spec and quietness and would hope for up to a decade more out of them. He has designed a replacement in a can similar to the Phaedrus and the Saturn Sound ones. I am wondering though, should I buy a valve tester? Do they have this 'revitalising' or flashing? facility built in? Tx again. DD

Odd

My last post looks very odd on my screen. And it seems to have stopped the conversation. I would appreciate any help or advice on:-
Exact type of tube socket, is it Octal or 10 Pin or Que?
Is there a modern replacement with say gold plated pins and the very best insulation, say Teflon. If it is Octal surely the Tube DIY world has an ultimate socket available?

Cleaning and replating the existing socket contacts..... silver or gold?

Resoldering, lead or silver?

Warm Regards, DD

It has got 8 pins, yes, but like AZ12 if I remember correctly. It is called Y8a, and you can get NOS and new ones. But I have no idea how it looks inside the mic, maybe there are changes made due to lack of space. I would try to clean pins and socket first. Be careful with that tube, it is rare and super expensive, but I guess you know that.

Count von Count

Yup eight pins, in a 5 plus 3 asymmetrical shape, like that AZ12. But that is not an Octal socket is it? Edit got it thanks, y8A but it looks like a 10 would also accept it.
Apparently the original Preh socket has exceptional insulation, but only very think silver plating on the contacts.

Last edited:
A problem that occurred with the bases also occurs with the Mullard (Europe ) SC valves , many a time those SC valves had to have the ends of the contacts cleaned when it was supposed that the valve itself was faulty .

Klaus Heyne of "German Master Works (USA ) comments-
The problem did not lay with the socket construction but with the plating of the contacts: Only the original Preh sockets have a (barely) sufficient silver plating on their contacts to resist corrosion and consequent loss of contact.

Many times what may be mistaken for tube failure is indeed just poor contact between the socket pins and the tube's plate and heater, due to corrosion and intermittent connection.

Try him for his advice at-
www.GermanMasterworks.com

It was also commented that Telefunken have retooled for a Teflon version of the 8 pin Stahlsocket .

A warning was given on soldering direct to the pins by Klaus Heyne .

Tele US responded immediately. The do sell a VF14 Mounting Kit and also the spongey rubber support ring. It is not on the website but the guy there Keith is extremely helpful and will send me a couple of pics when he next goes in to the workplace. Quite expensive, and shipping to here unknown, but a very good option to mull over I reckon. The contacts are silver plated and the body Teflon.
DD

There also was talk on checking for microphonics in the VF14 , when I repaired old group amps I always checked by tapping the input valve ,a lot of those B9A twin triodes at the inputs were microphonic .

A "cure " was rubber mounted B9A bases .

Telefunken ( USA ) is a completely separate division for reproducing accurate reproductions of the old Telefunken microphones .

Not many of those German valves/tubes/radios were bought in the UK

for obvious reasons , I only came across one German ,30,s/40.s radio although more modern versions appeared in the UK in the 50,s.

Still it was a quality German company.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.