• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

humming tube radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. Please bear with me, another humming radio question. I bought an old philips tube radio 22rb281. Really nice little model. But it has a low hum. Loud enough to be annoying. I have replaced all filtercaps, the rectifier, i’ve also replaced the coupling caps in the amplifier stage. I’ve had hum in some amplifiers before and mostly its been filament hum, which i can remedy one way or another. Now i know from experience that this kind of hum disappears as soon as i switch off the power supply while the music ebbs away. Now with this thing the hum doesn’t disappear but ebbs away when i shut off the power. I’ve never experienced that before. I measured the voltages and that all looks okay. Can this be a faulty tube? Anyone had this before?

Some high-impedance node is playing antenna there. Could be a break in either signal path or ground.

So this is always present, even in phono?

You will find ground where R20, R32 and a few other components meet near the filter cap - presumably a direct chassis connection. (If you don't have service docs yet, a web search turned them up.) There are a few more points like that, make sure they're all good.

Signal wise, you can try the following:
Grab a piece of wire and short R23 at B4 (find C53, which shares the same ground). Hum still there?
Yes: Repeat with R27. Hum still there? (If not, check B4 heater ground (pin 4 + 2), R26, C46. If yes, no clue.)
No: Look for bad components or joints among R16 - C37 - R32.

Tube sockets are good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.