• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LNF for LTP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I've looked a little bit and I didn't see anything similar to what I'm thinking of here. There is a traditional way of doing feedback for a long tailed pair, which I've linked below.

The Valve Wizard -Long Tail Pair

In my design, I'm using a CCS, which should theoretically balance the Long Tailed Pair fairly well, but I noticed in simulation that there was still a bit of imbalance. This seems to be similar in the amp I'm basing it off of and even looking at the FFT, the distortion may be inaudible, but the engineer in me doesn't like the imbalance. Using a CCS, I don't see a way to implement something similar to the above design, so please correct me if I missed something.

Has anyone implemented feedback on the LTP, like in the image attached below? Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea? In simulation, it appears to work and I have some gain to spare.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• LNF LTP.jpg
    LNF LTP.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 184
Thanks, Ian that was definitely inciteful. The next stage is a Mosfet follower. As far as I can tell there's nothing that would lead to uneven loading, and the imbalance starts with the phase splitter. Maybe it's not a real issue, but only in simulation? The amplifier without the feedback is attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 08.01.02.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 08.01.02.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 136

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Since it is being driven un-balanced, there will be a part-Volt unbalance of output due to non-infinite rp. You can see this in the deep-decimal display of a simulator. In real life with real tubes (especially the wide tolerance on OUTput tubes), it is hard to find.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.