• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Does anyone have experience with these chinese C cores?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im looking for cheap single ended transformers that I can have for prototyping. These transformers seem like they would be decent for a 300b amp, but they also seem too good to be true. Not to mention that the specifications don't seem to add up. On the other hand they are cheap enough where it might be worth the risk.

I would love to hear your feedback.

1pair 3.5K Amorphous Single-ended Output Transformer for 6P6P KT66 2A3 tube amp | eBay

A cheap asian tranny should be "decent" for a tube amp project?
All you will end up with is a pair of mediocre sounding, cheap trannies which you will throw away because if you want to build a "decent" amp, this will be a laugh worth. And it looks like a laugh, too. So tiny, compared with the best ones.
I don't know them, but for that price they won't kick out the best ones. Thats for sure.
Its all about how you define "decent". For me, it starts right below the best ones. And those call for decent money, not for pennies.
You won't find Leica quality in a 7 artisans optics. See the tests.

Asians CAN build excellent products, but they call for the same high prices than any other producer in the world for those products. Nothing comes cheap and has top notch quality on earth. No Rolex falls out of a package of Corn Flakes. And that is for a good reason.

Last edited:
A cheap asian tranny should be "decent" for a tube amp project?
All you will end is a pair of mediocre sounding, cheap trannies which you will throw away because if you want to build a "decent" amp, this will be a laugh worth. And it looks like a laugh, too.
I don't know them, but for that price they won't kick out the best ones. Thats for sure.
Its all about how you define "decent". For me, it starts right below the best ones. And those call for decent money, not for pennies.
You won't find Leica quality in a 7 artisans optics. See the tests.

Asians CAN build excellent products, but they call for the same high prices than any other producer in the world for those products. Nothing comes cheap and has top notch quality on earth. It couldn't be.

I couldn't agree with you more. However, I think you are misunderstanding my aim here.

Lemme be more clear. I mentioned that I am looking for stuff I can prototype with. What I am looking for is something good enough to test and tweak my circuit before I put it all in a proper chassis with better transformers. In a certain sense I am actually looking for throw away transformers. I just want to make sure that they aren't a chinese bomb or will only produce half the intended bandwidth.

I have experiments that I would like to perform and I don't want to risk decent transformers.

First thing you need to know is the width of the air gap, no air gap and it will saturate at very low current but looking at these, held together with Jubilee Clips, does not encourage me to even try them.

True. All I can go by is the posted current rating. What concerns me is that a transformer rated for 70ma should not have a power rating of 6.8 watts. But its china. Either its power handling specs are under rated and the bandwidth is crap, or the bandwidth is fine and their power handling is crap.

I think I am just going to have to look elsewhere. Thanks for the reply.

Lemme be more clear. I mentioned that I am looking for stuff I can prototype with. What I am looking for is something good enough to test and tweak my circuit before I put it all in a proper chassis with better transformers. In a certain sense I am actually looking for throw away transformers. I just want to make sure that they aren't a chinese bomb or will only produce half the intended bandwidth.

I have experiments that I would like to perform and I don't want to risk decent transformers.

That seems very backwards to me.:confused:

jeff

That seems very backwards to me.:confused:

jeff

IDK what to say. I personally like testing my circuit ideas with cheap components before I start spending money on high quality parts. I don't like the idea of spending 500+ dollars on transformers for a design that could sound like crap regardless of part selection.

It would be one thing if I were building a copy of a circuit that I already knew I liked, but I rarely do that these days.

A1 parts on North Queen by Sherway Gardens
index

Best prices for Hammond.

Many thanks kodabmx. I've been there before. Literally piles of NOS and stripped and disassembled used stuff. I spent an hour just poking around, the entire time thinking, "If I knew a lot more about electronics I bet I could find some real treasure buried here." I didn't think stores like that existed anymore.

cheers, Derek

IDK what to say. I personally like testing my circuit ideas with cheap components before I start spending money on high quality parts. I don't like the idea of spending 500+ dollars on transformers for a design that could sound like crap regardless of part selection.

It would be one thing if I were building a copy of a circuit that I already knew I liked, but I rarely do that these days.

To be true, Its not clear to me how you could judge a circuit by using a mediocre sounding tranny. The best circuit becomes limited when using those parts.

A good transformer would not go broken when used in test circuits. You can change it out and use anywhere else.

All you will receive here is low chinese quality for good money. Nothing more to expect.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.