• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Decware SET amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a Decware SE amp and preamp kit about 10 years ago. At the time, it was the only amp I owned. Used the amp to drive some Omega speakers to listen to vinyl. It was a really nice sounding amp.

Being the only amp I had at the time, it just didn't get loud enough when I had my beer phones on.

Here we are 10 years and about 9 tube amps later, and it still is one of my favorite amps I've owned. Bought a solid state amp for listening to loud rock music, and I personally wouldn't own just the one low power SE amp.

Approx. 2 WPC are available into 8 Ω. Roughly twice that into 4 Ω. Applying Paul Joppa's 102 dB. rule results in a 96 dB. sensitive 4 Ω driver being appropriate. Something 99 dB. sensitive is needed in an 8 Ω driver.

Closely scrutinize manufacturer claims. 2.83 V. of drive into 4 Ω is 2 W., not 1 W. and something specified that way has to be derated by 3 dB. Proper sensitivity claims are for 1 W. of drive at 1 M.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.