• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

One channel has lower sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two 6L6GC tubes in a Tubelab SSE amplifier. One channel sounds lower.

Switched the tubes, lower sound followed the tube. Tested both tubes, the tube with the lower sound has a higher transconductance reading in micromhos.

Anybody know what would cause this?

Account Closed
Joined 2018
What you're asking is something that takes a book's worth of reading to even understand.
Because there are several parameters involved, and trust me, I'm not about to spend the time to type it all out.
If you're the average consumer, the usual and basic thing is to test for emission of tubes - a simple tester can do that.
In your case, you probably have a tube that's aged, or slightly defective in manufacture.
Get a new matched set and enjoy the music.

Alright, then. I did test the emission of the tubes...

The tubes are a couple hundred micromhos different. I would have thought that the tube with the higher transconductance would have been louder.

Don't want to cause any sore fingers, so I'll read some more. I have other tubes I can run with the amp. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.