• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chinese KT88 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As Peter said the bass depends mostly on the output transformer and of course specifics of the circuit. Any tube can go down to DC. PP EL84 should have similar power output to SE KT88 so that should not be a problem (assuming your speakers are reasonably efficient.

The difficult part is that the output transformers are some of the most expensive bits and ones with good bass response (high primary inductance) cost more (more iron) than those which don't so price and bass is a balancing act. Fortunately PP output trannies with good bass cost less to produce than SE ones in theory.

Good thing with this amp is that tubes are easily available and can be changed out if there is an issue. The 12AX7 is commonly available. The EL84 can also be substituted with Russian 6P14P, all available on ePay.

Yep, lots of nice AX7s out there. Of course if I couldn't find an acceptable one I would just adjust the circuit to use 12AY7. :D

I've had a Yaqin MC10L for over 10 years and it has been faultless. Prior to that I had a Naim pre/power amp combination and the Yaqin was a clear improvement. It is partnered with a Croft pre-amp and I have no feeling that I need to change them. Cost? £126 including shipping from Hong Kong, best value item I have ever bought (after my 1936 Rover 10, which cost the princely sum of £16.50, less than £1 a month before it went to the scrap-yard). Not all Chinese electronics is rubbish...

I've had a Yaqin MC10L for over 10 years and it has been faultless.

I had one of those on my bench, and although it didn't quite meet its specifications, it was really close enough that I certainly wouldn't complain. My notes say it made 45WPC at 5% THD from 33Hz to 26kHz, but I remember that it struggled below 33Hz pretty badly. It was really a very pleasant surprise.

I had one of those on my bench, and although it didn't quite meet its specifications, it was really close enough that I certainly wouldn't complain. My notes say it made 45WPC at 5% THD from 33Hz to 26kHz, but I remember that it struggled below 33Hz pretty badly. It was really a very pleasant surprise.

I would think that were it decked out in some expensive EL34s and with a bit of tweaking here and there it would do better, nevertheless, amazing value for money.

you can do things empirically and be lucky ... or not. or you can try to understand, do a little math and make your changes. I can tell you that you can find your best changes in your ears, but you will unbalance your amp or make it unstable until it sways or rushes the end of life of your output transformers. . in the end, for the price, you do not have much to take but if it was me, I will start by changing the opts

I'm confused . . . your first post (from 2 days ago) indicates that you're considering the purchase of a cheap Chinese amp . . . and in your most recent post you say

in the beginning of my post i was asking if it is possible to upgrade my chinese amp...

This would seem to indicate that you already own one and want advice on modifications. Yet none of your previous posts on this thread include any questions about modifications.

So which is it?

It would also help to know where you are located as that may affect the advice you might get on other options which may or may not be available to you.

I see, that explains my confusion.

I seriously doubt that moving from one cheap Chinese amp to another will be much of an upgrade.

Numerous threads on various audio forums document a host of problems with the cheaper offerings from China.

These include: power transformers that overheat, rectifier tubes that arc and fail, oversized power supply capacitors, resistors that burn up, the use of counterfeit "name brand" parts, amps that put out about half the power that they claim, etc, etc.

Many owners of these amps suggest that the first thing to do is replace all the cheap tubes that come with these with better quality tubes. Problem is that this doesn't solve all the other design issues which seem to be so common with these amps.

Perhaps some of the expensive offering from China are good amps but I'd suggest staying away from the cheap ones.

I'll post some additional comments on your other thread later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.