• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp build suggestion for my current system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll be you, I'll just choose between SE and PP and then I'll start looking for a good opt.
It's the basis of everything I think.
I started recently with the tubes, although having a lot of experience with transistors.
I am at my third amp fixtures from 0 and the justice of the peace is still opt.
I pushed the vice to clone an amp that I have at home which has the distinction of having small opt but who is able to make big bass, to know if it came from the diagram or opt and clearly , the answer is: opt.

There is also the Baby Huey amp

+1 !

There are also other small push-pull amps that are very nice. I really like my own KT66 design (see here and here). It's good for some 10 very clean watts.

However, I find it hard to believe your speakers are really 97 dB/W/1m. Speakers with such high sensitivity need be either very large, or they don't do any bass. Have you measured them?

However, I find it hard to believe your speakers are really 97 dB/W/1m. Speakers with such high sensitivity need be either very large, or they don't do any bass. Have you measured them?

I have not measured them. I was simply posting what is on Omega’s website as a guide for anyone trying to assist me. I did a quick Google search to see if anyone had done a review with some in-depth testing but was unable to locate one for independent verification. Omega is not a big company that appears to get a lot of commercial reviews.

The only unscientific response I can give is that for my small space, I rarely get the volume knob past the halfway mark. So they’re efficient enough for the space they’re used in while paired with an amp that doesn’t produce a high WPC.

The midrange on these speakers is terrific. The highs are very nice too. If I had to pick a weakness, the bass would be it. But I knew this was not going to be their strength, so I tend to favor music that is. Because my living room is directly above the bedroom of the person living below me, there were certain trade offs I had to make in order to listen to music for hours every day. Deep rumbling thumpy bass was one of them. The HPA-1 is a great headphone amp so I switch to a pair of Audeze LCD-3’s as a nice secondary option for certain music.

I have not measured them. I was simply posting what is on Omega’s website as a guide for anyone trying to assist me.

I just had another look at the Omega Website. They say the two drivers are identical, except the whizzer on the upper driver. The two drivers are in parallel, with the lower driver is filtered with a low-pass at 200 Hz. This means the impedance drops to a lowish value below 200 Hz, and it is specified as 4-6 Ohm, which might mean as low as 3.2 Ohm.

The sensitivity is specified as "97 dB", without saying what the input signal is, or at which distance it was measured. It is possible they meant 97 dB/2.83V/1m (that's what engineers typically use these days). With an 8 Ohm impedance, 2.83V would correspond to 1 Watt. Assuming 3.2 Ohm for your speakers, you'd need 2.5 x more current to drive your speakers with 2.83V, and to get the same SPL. This also means your need 2.5 x more power.

I'd suggest you look for an amplifier that can drive a low-impedance loudspeaker with at least 10 Watt or so. Either a strong SE amplifier (like a 300B or "larger"), or a nice little push pull amplifier (EL84, KT66 in triode, etc. comes to mind).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.