• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simple Hybrid tube amplifier with MOSFET output

Hi,

I am back with the Hybrid amplifier :)

I have made a lot of test with Rev. 5 and was never able to run correctly the MOSFET SRPP :mad: I have made a big mistake on the PCB because the 2SK1058 and 2SJ162 have a different pimout than other MOSFET : the middle pin and the flange is the source and not the drain !!! (https://www.renesas.com/us/en/doc/products/transistor/003/rej03g0847_2sj160ds.pdf & https://www.renesas.com/in/en/doc/products/transistor/003/rej03g0906_2sk1056ds.pdf)

Any way, after crossing the legs it still didn't play music, I found that there was no gain in the input stage :confused: After more test I finally gave up for some time...

Now I have decided to build the other version of the hybrid amplifier Rev. 5 HD, this is a version suggested by Hugh Dean which use a mu-follower stage made by Alan Kimmel instead of the SRPP. This time the input circuitry is working well and with about 1 V signal I have 10 V on C6 and C7 :D

Helas, when I put the power on the semiconductor part of the amplifier M1 (2SK1058) become immediately very hot (I burn my finger when I just touched it :flame: )

I don't understand what happen, I have only +30 V and -30 V, which is less than the 50 V specified and the 2SJ162 didn't become so hot ? Since the output stage is straightforward I don't see what can be wrong ? If you have some solution for this amplifier to play music, I will be happy...

Rgds,
Marc

Laterals do oscillate easely, a small cap does stop it, connect between drain and gate of top fet or both. Maybe the idle is to high or thermal contact with heatsink not oke.

regards

OK, I can listen the music :D:D:D

Finally it was not a problem with the MOSFET or even the Hybrid amplifier Rev. 5 HD, it was a strange behavior of the Main Soft Start for Toroïdal Transformer ( Sjostrom Audio - SST03 Softstart for toroidal transformers ) I found that when I see that my power supply didn't start always or some time shut down without any reason, why this has the effect of increasing the temperature of the 2SK1058 MOSFET, I don't know ?

Now with +/- 45 V the transistors are only at 30°C :), DC offset is about -20 mV but I am at the maximum of the trimmer, may be this is because I -46 V and only + 44.5 V !

The amplifier has a lot of bass, too much and a strange background noise, no hum more like a white noise, I will change the 12AX7 which is an old used Toshiba tube...

Rgds,
Marc

I changed the tube with a brand new JJ ECC82 but it did not change anything :mad:

However during more test I have found the solution : I had to reduce the high voltage from 250 V to 200 V and the amplifier sound now very well, no more background noise and not too much bass but enough :D

I think that the input stage was saturated with too much voltage ? Now it is playing non stop since 4 hours and the MOSFET temperature is stable at 32.5 °C :)

There was an error on my previous post : the Toshiba tube was a 12AU7 which is equivalent to the European ECC82...

Since the amplifier is now very quite I can hear a small mechanical vibration noise from the Talema 300 VA power transformer ( 55174-P1S2 TALEMA - Transformateur: toroidal | TME - Composants electroniques ), it not fixed in a chassis yet but in the future I may look for an other manufacturer or use R-Core transformer ? Did you have any suggestion ?

Cheers, :cheers:
Marc

Attachments

• Hybrid amplifier playing.JPG
    Hybrid amplifier playing.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 788