• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Golden tube Audio SE-100 amp tests?

Wow the last threads on this amp are pretty old!

Well anyway, I thought I would throw some info out there in case anyone is interested.

The schematics I have received on this amp are suspect unfortunately. So, I have been going point to point and hand drawing the schematic and it's challenging to say the least. So far so good and I have compiled some stats. I have my amp cooking at least voltage wise, I have not put a signal through it yet or listened to it. What a powerful monster. lots of transformers and heat. 7 transformers and chokes in the circuitry. My home brew designs have all been capacitor coupling and transformer output.

So, bottom line any help would be appreciated and if I can shed light on the subject I will give it a shot! I'm going to continue updating this schematic until I get it all straightened out. Then I will be running some signals through it and looking at it on the o-scope. Anxious to look at the results...

Good luck on all projects!:

Dennis...….W7edn:)

Last edited:
On mine, R37 ohms out at 11.23 ohms and R38 at 11.45 Maybe you can help me. I just bought an SE100 today knowing that it toasts fuses. No documentation came with it and I learned real quick, finding a schematic may take some time. Anyway, brought it home and confirmed, it blows fuses hard and fast on power up. I have no experience with this amp. Never even heard of if until today. So, I pulled all the tubes, did a visual and tested all the caps and "zitors" and all checked good. Next, I isolated the PSU and powered it up with a variac and could keep it running up to 30 volts with glowing fuse. Using a infrared thermal gauge, I scanned all the parts which all stayed cool but one. Within about 3 minutes, the choke got too hot to even touch. Remove it from the circuit, and the rest will stay powered without blowing fuses. The choke is marked 15-HL-151-10-15 and B100CHK01113 Rev1. I assume that means 15 H and being the size of a '63 Caddilac Fleetwood, I figure it'll handle 5 amps but thats just a guess. That said, mine meters out at 2H with an internal resistance of 28 ohm. Can anyone give me the specs or have the schematics or be willing to meter theirs and share their findings? Thanks! Jim