• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Replacing valves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't post a thread about it. Just posted the schematic on a thread asking for RIAA designs...

However, I'm building a tube version today complete with "Janus" regulation.
It'll be a tight build... 9x5x2 inch chassis, 10 tubes, DC-DC boost converter... The last such build saw a board get hot enough the solder melted and a capacitor FELL OUT.

Yep, tho' if you take a look at the IM4562.PDF file, it also has a “passively filtered RIAA” implementation. Curiously, it specifies a bunch of different capacitor values in parallel; in one sense I suppose it is to get the “values between”, (while capitalizing on the inverse-additive nature of imprecision), in another sense, especially with the 1,000 pF cab in parallel with the rest, I'm pretty sure that's to address HF roll off of larger value capacitors. Or not. Who knows.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓

The 1000 pf is to get 0.034uf for the filter since 0.033 is the wrong value. Yes, in reality, it's pretty close. If you're building a one off for yourself, why not try and get the filters bang on though, right? Same as the 3k3 || 100k. Makes 3180 or so so that part of the filter will be more accurate.

I used to split the equalization into two different sections. It's more accurate but requires another stage.

Last edited:
Diff?

Heyy koda...
Can you explain the diffrence from the first picture and this one?? (Lower voltage and gounded grid on the first half of the last 6N3).
Sonic difference, purpose etc.??

Attachments

• 6N2-3 RIAA.png
    6N2-3 RIAA.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 86
No difference really... The grid is still grounded in the first one albeit through a 100k resistor. This resister along with another and a cap can be used for Broskies' Aikido PS noise nulling. I removed it since I don't use Aikidoing.
I find this circuit will work from about 200V to 350V without changes but the higher end of the voltage scale is preferred if you have it. The above example using 280V is based on an eBay 12V to 280V DC boost converter.

I've also changed the 1M on the output to 100k.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.