• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What are the top 3 MM Phono Preamps Circuits to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm a fan of Rod Coleman's shunt cascode circuit , have built a couple of versions myself (with 7963, a sort of subminiature 6DJ8), but wasn't going to post as they were scratch builds and took me a little time to work out details so wouldn't have fit into your "2 Easiest to build" parameter but I just learned from Rod that he has shunt cascode boards/kits available so am throwing this on the list.

It is shown here with a PC86 (It's been done with the E88CC as well), but can be built with pretty well any suitable tube you want. It makes for a very good sounding phono stage.

Attachments

• ShCa_RIAA_PC86.jpg
    ShCa_RIAA_PC86.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 604
Joined 2008
Paid Member
What does this series connection of a 100 nF capacitor and a 1.5V coin cell do?
It's a drawing error, the battery should be on the other side of R28.
I didn't build it that way though - used cathode bias instead.

Edit: And a BC557C ain't no Darlington at all!

Well, no t'aint, but you could make a darlington with them couldn't you? I used others but later on Rod found a single to be a better choice. I like it so much as is though, I haven't bothered to try the single.

Best Regards back at you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.