• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question about output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
However, I think the claimed one ohm section actually is not one ohm, it might be 0.9? ohm, we might not get exact 4, 8 or 16 ohms. However, we should also consider that all speakers impedence will changed in according to the changed in frequency.
I've calculated the sections to 0.9428 ohms. To keep that »Output Impedance Selector Switch« quite simple (see below), I'll restrain to just three impedances, 4, 8 and 16 ohms. A total of eight 0.946 ohms packs allows to be arranged as 2 x 4 each in parallel for 4 ohms nominally, 2 x 3 plus 1 x 2 for 8 ohms, and 4 x 2 for 16 ohms, respectively. Hence all impedances are matched within close and equal (+/- 6%) tolerances.

As suitable mechanical switches (five decks, three positions) that can cope with the currents supposedly aren't available anymore, five SPDT or one SPDT plus two DPDT relays will do the job, driven through a simple diode matrix.
Best regards!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.