• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Reasonable interstage PP-PP transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am looking for reasonably priced 1:1 interstage transformer.
It will couple push-pull 6SN7 driving push-pull 7236 tube, no DC unbalanced current, ungapped should work for me.
It's Class A so current is minimal but max Vrms is about 60V with primary C.T. being at B+ 250V.

My options are
1) Carnhill VTB2047 600R:600R - datasheet
Really like it but when I contacted Carnhill they suggested that High Level Output is considered to be 12.3Vrms. So now I'm not sure whether it can handle the voltage.
Also low nominal impedance means lower inductance.
2) Hammond 124F 15k:15k - datasheet
My only concern is primary DCR of 900 Ohm which means higher cutoff frequency.
3) Edcor XSM 15k:15k - datasheet
Specs are nice but it's much smaller then first two, again, probably means lower inductance.

Which one is my best bet?
Unfortunately Sowter and Lundall are out of my price range.

Thank you,
Igor.

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Hammond Manufacturing 6W68HF
TRANSFORMER; INTERSTAGE AUDIO; IMPED : PRI 10K OHMS; SEC; 10K CT OHMS; MAX DC 30MA
Original Allied Electronics.

I use 6F12p triode section to drive it, reflected load 26k in Pri when Sec is has 13k load each winding. Additional feedback flatten the frequency response and cut ringing to minimal and it seems the sound quality is not affected much by the amount of this local feedback. The attached schematic as almost zero negative feedback. I have also completed PPP version, good sound especially Pentode mode although the Zout is still fairly high but because the front end does most of the job so output frequency response is good without further feedback. The 2nd attachment uses similar approach.

Attachments

• Allied IT stage PP amp-1.png
    Allied IT stage PP amp-1.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 2A3pp-s1.gif
    2A3pp-s1.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 528
  • Allied IT stage PP amp-2.png
    Allied IT stage PP amp-2.png
    106 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for a response!

Thanks, this looks promising, contacted Leszek.

Softone RC-20 Versatile Audio Interstage Transformer
Very good specs but with shipping that's 300+USD for a pair.

Hammond Manufacturing 6W68HF
TRANSFORMER; INTERSTAGE AUDIO; IMPED : PRI 10K OHMS; SEC; 10K CT OHMS; MAX DC 30MA
No C.T. on primary unfortunately, will not work for PP-to-PP.

do you know Dorin Bodea from Romania?
No, but I managed to google his contact details, will write to him, thanks for the tip!

Just curious: how well do you expect the 6SN7s to drive a 600ohm transformer? I wouldn't be too optimistic.

But isn't that just a nominal impedance?
Secondary is looking into the tube grid so reflected load on primary should be quite almost infinite, right?
My understanding was that nominal impedance gives you an idea of inductance at measured frequency, that's all.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
But isn't that just a nominal impedance?...

It is the impedance target where the designer aimed for "good working".

A 600 can be run at 400 or 900, sure, even a little further if you are not real fussy.

But intended for 600, driven by the ~~12,000 of a pair of 6SN7 plates, probably will be very unhappy.

Shop for 10K or 15K. They are fairly available.

Hi wavebourn, I disagree, for my own sake I never built an amplifier with transformer drive because of cost. I have no doubt that they are the best way to achieve class B high drive for high power amplification, as demonstrated by technicians from G.E.

They remain and their variants the way to low distortion detailed sound by high quality tube amplifier builders.

I doubt this is relevant to domestic use under 150 watts, we can rest happy with our capacitor coupling.

Unless oscillation occurs (which is unlikely) the Transformer coupling (or balanced chokes) is the best.

Maybe one day I will build a class A amp just for fun which has a transformer coupling :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.