• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

best value SET amp + preamplifier + dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I would like to build my first amplifier. After some research I would like try to make SET amplifier so I am looking for DIY easy to follow kit.

Could you please recommend me the best VALUE diy set amplifier and also some preamplifier and dac (I will use PC as source).

I read really great review on Elekit TU8600 Amplifier Kit. So I was thinking about the TU8600 with TU8500 preamplifier. What do you say about that? But I am not sure what DAC is OK enough to use.

I would like to build something that I can keep "forever" but at the same time I would rather put the extra money into sensitive speakers so that is why I am saying I am looking for the best value ( I don't need to pay e.g. $2000 extra to get 5% better sound... if you understand me).

Thank you for your help.

What country are you in? This can make a big difference when it comes to what may be easiest for you to get. Assuming you're in the US-

A TubeLab SE (direct heat triode) or TubeLab Simple SE (triode or UL connected pentodes, usually) would be great choices, and would pair well with Edcor iron. Full kits aren't necessarily available, but the bill of materials isn't too bad and can easily be ordered from the usual places, such as Mouser or Digikey. One can affordably build heirloom quality amplifiers with either design pretty easily.

Martin,

In Ostrava you can meet with Vladimir who can sell you Ukrainian Audio Lot tube based equipment. Or send me PM and I will provide you contact details. He has some GM70 amplifiers, AD1865 tube based USB DACs and other stuff, cables made from Klangfilm wire. That gear is made in Ukraine by guys who know how to make superb sounding products with bargain pricing.
Tubelab, Audio Note Kits etc.. dont spend your money there. You have real gem very close to you, no need to look further, believe me. been there, done that.

This is the blatant error. Buying the cart before the horse. Spend 90% of your energy and money on speakers, first. But before pulling any triggers I’d find an opportunity to listen to a number of different types of speakers. I’m sure in your area there’s audio clubs, shops, etc. just do some searching. Audio folks are generally friendly. Someone with a pair of 604s would likely be open to allowing you over for a listen even if it’s a private home.

Personal preference is a big part of the process. Everyone has different rooms, different listening taste, aesthetic preferences, sound signature preferences etc. Once getting the speakers squared away use it with a modest adequately rated amp / pre / dac (think: tripath, crown, etc. - maybe used studio / pro gear).

Then build as you see fit replacing those items and see if you hear differences and if you like those differences. Waiting to build all this before you can actually buy speakers and listen to music is tragic. It’s also a recipe for a lot of wasted time and money, especially when you haven’t had personal experiences to clue you in on what you’re after.

Simplified advice: go all in on speakers after lots of in person evaluation, buy some cheap gear to listen to those speakers NOW, then decide on what to build and do so at your leisure. Best advice: find a weird local audio guy who has too much stuff and time on his hands.

The advice about the fellow in Ostrava is worth listening to, even if just driving there to experience what he listens to music on, chat with him and soak it in so to speak. I’m sure this guy can also supply a kit or assist you in a build. You’ll likely need help from someone with more experience if starting this process as a complete novice anyhow. (Do you own and are comfortable using all the features of a multimeter? How about a Soldering iron? Do you know how to discharge a capacitor? Know basic electric safety procedures? If you answered no to any of these, you want the man in Ostrava or one like him around).

Always Remember: electricity can blow stuff up (including you) and cause fires. I think most would likely agree with me if starting from scratch in your situation. Don’t get swirled up in obsessing over reviews and complex configurations. There’s plenty of time for that later on.

Last edited:
Ok you are not the first one who gives me this kind of advice. You are probably right. Could you maybe propose some dac/preamp/amp tube solution which I could get cheap (I am ok with used stuff even) and some used/vintage sensitive speakers?

I would start there and then I will try to make something on my own :)

You don't need a preamplifier if you are going from your computer straight through the DAC into the amp. This is what I do - my computer is my only source. Cut down on the stages you use and you'll get better transparency.

For a DAC I'd recommend getting a good quality Chinese one off eBay. I use a fairly simple ES9023 which outputs 2v. I'm not a DAC expert so others can advise. The volume control is going to be in software on the computer.

For an amp it's nice to have an output stage like a 300b or 2a3, but which one depends on the speakers you are going to use. Simplest speakers are single units like the Mark Audio Alpair 10M. You just need a box to put them in - they're efficient and detailed and don't need a crossover.

Ok you are not the first one who gives me this kind of advice. You are probably right. Could you maybe propose some dac/preamp/amp tube solution which I could get cheap (I am ok with used stuff even) and some used/vintage sensitive speakers?

I would start there and then I will try to make something on my own :)

No. Why tubes? Which component? It all depends. I’d be recommending things with exceptional documentation like the LX-mini and nuerochrome’s amp for it. Not tubes and not 95db. The glaring problem is you haven’t listened to any options yet. That’s critical. I don’t know what you’ll like or is viable to assemble for your skill level.

I also don’t know what is available near you. That’s key for used components. Many ways to achieve great sound. There’s no one ideal combo you will drive yourself insane with the possibilities. Synergy between components is essential. It takes time to understand the issues. You seem to be extremely new to this.

So I won’t recommend components- I’ll again recommend you find a local club or visit the man in Ostrava. They will guide you. Also that’s the best way to locate used components locally,as well as evaluate them BEFORE buying. If you are getting similar advice over and over again- time to follow it! There’s good reason for it.

Last edited:
No. Why tubes? Which component? It all depends. I’d be recommending things with exceptional documentation like the LX-mini and nuerochrome’s amp for it. Not tubes and not 95db. The glaring problem is you haven’t listened to any options yet. That’s critical. I don’t know what you’ll like or is viable to assemble for your skill level.

I also don’t know what is available near you. That’s key for used components. Many ways to achieve great sound. There’s no one ideal combo you will drive yourself insane with the possibilities. Synergy between components is essential. It takes time to understand the issues. You seem to be extremely new to this.

So I won’t recommend components- I’ll again recommend you find a local club or visit the man in Ostrava. They will guide you. Also that’s the best way to locate used components locally,as well as evaluate them BEFORE buying. If you are getting similar advice over and over again- time to follow it! There’s good reason for it.
What I was asking in the post was some already finished products. I want to listen the devices for some time and I will decide what to do next. I understand there is a lot of possibilities and that the synergy between devices is important that is why I am asking for some advice what is good together. I dont have any specific requirements. I would like to know your experiences with relatively cheap devices I can use together (not every possibility..just what you have or tried in the past..).

All I am looking for are efficient speakers and set tube amp with dac which will be good in the combination with speakers. And after listening these components for some time I will decide what I like and what I want to change.

Yes I am new to this, I have some experience with soldering but not with designing the amp dac nor speakers, but as I was saying I will try to build something later (maybe next year) and until then I will learn what I need for some easy build..or I start with diy kit.

Last edited:
You don’t seem to be understanding me. I said first listen, then find local availability based on what you hear. If it were me building a system from scratch for low cost / easy for novice I would half buy / half build probably for most ROI and least introductory headache.

1. Build the LX Mini by Siegfried Linkwitz. Kit available from Madisound. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/lxmini-linkwitz-lab-speaker-kit-pair/

2. MiniDSP for crossover and room correction: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/assembled-crossovers/minidsp-2x4-digital-signal-processor/

Doing better than this combo for anywhere near the same money either used or building your own would be extremely difficult.

3. Modulus 86 amp: https://www.neurochrome.com/modulus-86/

You can buy tested and assembled I believe. Was the amp selected for use with the LX Mini when NP showed his crossover at burning amp I believe).

4. OLDAC for DAC
No assembly required https://www.jdslabs.com/mobile/products/181/ol-dac-b-stock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.