• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Volume on Electrohome 6v6 tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where is a good location for adding a volume pot on an Electrohome 6v6 push-pull tube amp?
Also what pot value?
Schematic attached
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Attachments

• sa40s.png
    sa40s.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 144
Joined 2011
Where is a good location for adding a volume pot on an Electrohome
6v6 push-pull tube amp? Also what pot value?

Add the control at the inputs, before the coupling capacitors (or delete them).
Use a 100k stereo volume control, but a range of values could work,
depending on the source. The wiper goes to the capacitor (or grid).

Last edited:
Let's keep this simple. Insert either a ganged, stereo, or 2X mono log. taper pots. between the I/P jacks and the 0.047 μF. capacitors. Use 50 Kohms for the control value. Connect the "hot" jack terminals to the control "tops". Connect the control wipers to the 0.047 μF. capacitors. The control "bottoms" get grounded.

"Standard" practice is for the O/P impedance of a driving component to be 1/10 the I/P impedance of the driven component. 50 Kohms is, for practical purposes, 1/10 of 470 Kohms.

Commercial products will be capable of driving the IHF 10 Kohm "standard". If the DAC is a commercial product, 10 Kohms as the control value is fine. OTOH, a DIY unit might not do well into 10 Kohms.

As the OP hails from Canada, exchange rates and possible import duties suggest that a product of Canadian manufacture could work out better than something from Hong Kong. I suggest that PEC KA and KKA series hot molded parts be looked into. BTW, the PEC stuff could easily be better sounding. Look here for DigiKey's Canadian site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.