• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So if we assume the tube in question has a 250v design maximum plate voltage, and is being run at 450v. then you could use the 6SN7 curves by shifting right. You would approximate the overvoltages by using the 250/450 ratio of 55%. So lay up your loadline as if the plate voltage on the 6SN7 was 700v.

I disagree with your method. It may be a worthwhile exercise with two similar tubes from the same manufacturer, but even then it's a stretch.

I just finished the load-lines for 6N8S from the spec sheet Merlin linked to in his post. I never saved the previous ones I did for 6SN7, but from memory these turned out darn close if not identical. So, my previous conclusions still stands as far as I can tell.

I have one of those "Nobsound" single ended amps that uses the following tubes:

X2 PSVane KT88's

X2 6N8P Preamp tubes

5Z3PA Rectifier

In general I've been happy with it but have wondered if it could be improved. Are there any drop-in replacement tubs that would give better sound quality? I'm not looking for power (it's a low power amp anyways) as much as clarity and "feel", and I'm using two Sony full height speakers.

It’s funny when someone starts a post to ask a valid question for some information about something and his post turns into a bickering back-and-forth about something that has nothing to do with his question

Just giving my 2cents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.