• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Scott 272 amp low filament voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to the Scott schematic the 12AX7s filaments are wired in series with the tubes filaments wired for 12.6 each tube. According to the schematic each 12.6 volt tube is receiving about 7 volts filament from the separate power supply supplying tube DC filament voltage and power tube bias.

This makes no sense. Schematic is on HIFi engine site.

I can't believe the amp would function. If this is true, I will change circuit for full filament voltage by rewiring tubes for 6.3 volts and install a 50 ohm voltage dropping resistor. The circuit will be highly filtered now keeping AC ripple low. The 42 volt transformer winding is listed at 1.2 ohms, it will pick up full tube 300ma current load.

Fired up the Scott 272 bias voltage. Verified 7 volts on 12.6 volt filament. Unbelievable. Good news is bias winding is 53 volts AC. Using a CRC with 3000uF each cap & 5 ohm resistor I get 71.6 volts for 6 tubes in series under load with a schottky bridge. I will modify the bias supply. Same bad news on the Scott 296.

It sat for 40 years not powered up. So, I am replacing all the electrolytic caps and four power tube grid coupling caps before power up. Then after listening I will replace rest of coupling caps with Russian K40Y-9 and hear the improvement. If it does not beat out my KNight KA95 I am also rebuilding and my main amp right now Allied 333 it will be sold. I am using the best Mullard 12AX7s and phono tubes to really hear it. The Scott is built like a tank. All transformers are oversized. 14lb audio transformers and a huge power transformer. It is a beast!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It is listed on the schematic, as the proper voltage, and measures that way.....

Agree. Do not assume you know more than the Dead Men.

Note *also* that all these tubes run at VERY low plate current. And the noted plate voltages differ from what you expect for 100K+1.5K bias. They worked this out. They could have gone "by the book", but didn't. Why?

Leave it be or be prepared for much-much re-tinkering. Jacking the heater power to 12V will make the tubes draw some more current, drop the already low 160V supply down to ~~100V, cut headroom.

Attachments

• Scott-272.gif
    Scott-272.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 92
Fired up the Scott 272 bias voltage. Verified 7 volts on 12.6 volt filament. Unbelievable. Good news is bias winding is 53 volts AC. Using a CRC with 3000uF each cap & 5 ohm resistor I get 71.6 volts for 6 tubes in series under load with a schottky bridge. I will modify the bias supply. Same bad news on the Scott 296.

If you are measuring the filament right after power on, the voltages will be lower than after the amp has fully warmed up. I recently rebuilt a Scott 222C and simply replaced the original FWBR by Siemens with a modern one the results were very good on the amp with slightly more voltage than with the original rectifier but the amp was very quiet and very nice sounding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.