• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Calculating DC coupled Single Ended Valve Amplifiers - Part #1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Calculating DC coupled Single Ended Valve Amplifiers - Triode Drivers

Konnichiwa,

garbage said:
i'm confused as to where the variable u gets calculated.

It doesn't. You read it off the Nomograph in the valves Datasheet. Sorry for not being consistent, but basically use the datasheet value.

Sayonara

nomograph

ok, i'm still confused.
i'm new to tubes, please bear with me.

i've located a nomograph here

is it generic for all tubes?

it says here that the nomograph is supposed to determine:
a) the voltage drop for any plate current or
b) the plate current for any plate voltage or
c) used to compare the preveance of diodes (like i know what preveance means).

i guess in the case of the example, it is used to determine b.

but from the example, with what plate volts and plate milliamps do i plot the straightedge? and at what plate volts do i read off the plate milliamps to get 40 or 43 as in the example?

also, you mentioned not being consistent with the value of u. does this mean the value for u in the example should taken as either 40 or 43 for both cases where u is concerned.

thanks.

Re: nomograph

Konnichiwa,

garbage said:
ok, i'm still confused.
i'm new to tubes, please bear with me.

Then please start learning about Valves and their charateristics please. There is plenty of old Valve literature posted on-line to help you. You may wish to start with THE classic, the RCA Radiotron Manual Release 10 (from the 1930's). It is excellent in explaining how Valves work and how you use the curves published within. That should help.

http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/RC10/

Sayonara

Traced the discussion on triode driver circuit. Do I get it right here?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Follow-up question and confirmation:

1. for 2A3, the change would be in bias setting: 186/60=3k1 resistor instead of 5k1 for 45

2. what are the pros/cons between choke and resistor on the plate loading of the driver

btw, this is very helpful to newbie-me.

Mine complete!

Hi

Thanks to Thorsten. I use this structure to build mt 5842 dc 6CK4 amp.

This is the schematic :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not pretty, but excellent listening ;)

The interior

Using as much as PP cap I could:

Step ATT

6CK4

It is really great sound! Thanks again!!

cheers

Coffin:smash:

Hi
Although it sounds excellent, but there's a danger inside.....

Because I use only one transformer for both HT and LT, so there's a 500V over all caps before the filament glow. I can hear some hiss coming from the caps when the machine turning on.

So I decide to add a HT delay circuit:

And it works! the HT rises at 34th second from 0 to 380V in 5 second and to 450V.

Great!

Coffin

I have built sep dc amps using pentode input tubes. The circuit looks pretty similar, except I used a separate cathode resistor in order to be able to apply some nfb, and the plate voltages on the input tubes are much lower. I have used 6au6 and 6sj7 tubes for input. I believe an el84 would work well as an input tube. I have a sep dc amp in the works using an el84 to drive an el84 output tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.