• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Xindak V30 tube upgrade from KT88 to KT120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How can I determine if this amp can run KT120s? I don't see any markings on the power transformer, but I know it does run too warm.

I figured it would just need rebias from about 50mA @ 475V for the kt88, up to 75mA for the 120s to also run at about 60% of the maximum tube power dissipation.

But is 475V a suitable voltage too run them at?

Thanks

How can I determine if this amp can run KT120s? I don't see any markings on the power transformer, but I know it does run too warm.

I figured it would just need rebias from about 50mA @ 475V for the kt88, up to 75mA for the 120s to also run at about 60% of the maximum tube power dissipation.

Thanks
The power transformer should withstand the larger current of the KT120 filaments.

No, no, a 1000 times NO! :down: :mad:

Even if the power trafo has the "stones" needed (most likely not), there is the issue of grid to ground resistance limit.

An amp has to be designed from the ground up for the KT120, in order to have reasonable expectations of success.

BTW, the linearity of the KT120 is p_ss poor.

No, no, a 1000 times NO! :down: :mad:

Even if the power trafo has the "stones" needed (most likely not), there is the issue of grid to ground resistance limit.

An amp has to be designed from the ground up for the KT120, in order to have reasonable expectations of success.

BTW, the linearity of the KT120 is p_ss poor.
Do you could recommend a amp to use KT150 to best sound quality?

Thanks

Why use some tube the amp is not designed for ? And when the power transformer already is "too warm" ?

What is your goal; is it good natural sound or is it fancy looking amp that impresses on you pals ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.