• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

HV SMPS with vacuum tubes ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Possible?
It has been the HV supply in tube TV since at least the 40´s ;)
809022-DSC00773.JPG

Pro:
- Less switching noise
- Less heatsink
- Looks nicer to tube afficionados

Con:
- Less efficient
- More generated heat
- Higher cost compared to SS

I am also very interested if chosen tube is more abundant, preferably current production, with tube secondary hv rectification. Want to collaborate in parallel build? Let's see your target output voltage and current. I prefer unregulated type for initial build.

...But without transformer.
Rather buck converter.
We can not discuss non isolated power supply in this forum, we need isolation transformer for buck converter, but it will be bulky and more expensive compared to HF transformer.
It could be 12V.
My understanding is that a 12V supply will need a boost converter to make HV, not Buck and a tube switch is practically worthless at this low voltage. You need a part capable of switching several Amps.

Hello,
It could be 12V.
Tubes can manage to process signals with a 12V supply, or even less (very inefficiently), but processing any power at such a low voltage is going to require enormous wastes to heat a no less enormous cathode, with enormous conduction losses anyway.
If such a need really had existed, special construction tubes might have been developed, but all the low voltage/high current applications of that time used mechanical means: choppers/vibrators, rotary collectors, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.