• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

17GV5 - push pull

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No you won't set the OPT on fire, but repeated trips into saturation might make your output tubes mad (red faced kinda mad).

I used an Antek power toroid as an OPT in a guitar amp back in the Hundred Buck Amp Challenge. The idea was to build a guitar amp for minimum $$$, but no more than $100 total parts cost.

I made a real cheap amp, less than $50. It used $4 worth of tubes and a $5 line matching transformer for the OPT. It made 4 watts, screamed real good and I still play it.

I made a second amp that cost about $99.99 to see what I could do for $100. It used an Antek toroid for the OPT. I think it was a 50VA unit, but I'm not totally sure. It was a 9 volt unit since I needed about 3 K ohms. The amp made 20 watts of clean power, but the lowest note on a guitar is 82Hz. The OPT was not the limiting factor, the tubes and the B+ voltage were.

I think I'll give the antek toroid a try, I can get a 100VA unit for 35 shipped, at that price I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work it should be a great heater supply for other projects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.